Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Ekach Pyala- Marathi Drama -Act1.5

 

My translation attempt of Marathi Drama एकच प्याला (Only one glass)  written Ram Ganesh Gadkari)

Please suggest better option for words and phrases.

Act 1

Episode V

(Venue: Sudhakar's house. Characters: Sudhakar and Taliram.)

Sudhakar: (Swagat) Twenty four hours have passed, my head is getting hammered.I can’t think anything Nothing.

(Raga- Tilang; Tal-Ada-Chautal. Chaal- Raghubirke Charan.)

(राग- तिलंग; ताल-आडा-चौताल. चाल- रघुबिरके चरन.)

जड बधिर हृदय शिर, भयकर मतिसंकर।
तनुदहनहि खर॥ ध्रु.॥

नारकहुताशन। दाह का घोर।
जळी वा प्रलयकर-।
रविकिरणनिकर॥ 1

My heart has become heavy and numb,
Mind is confused  and fearful

Engulfing fire, with scorchinh heat
Like pralay in sea or burning sun rays

 

 (Bends down on table holding forehead.)

Taliram: (Come) Dadasaheb!

Sudhakar: Taliram, I can’t think anything now.

Taliram: Dadasaheb, such calamities are bound to come in the life!

Sudhakar: Taliram, why do you think I care about such calamities! I can't stand this insult! Bad people make mockery of me, repectable persons criticise me, our enemies laugh at us ! Taliram, I could have kicked Kubera's wealth, and would have earned it back ! But these insults are not tolerable by me,.

Taliram: Tomorrow, you will goret these things and…

Sudhakar: Forget it? Forget it! The pain of this snake bite will continue till death! No, it's just ...I am getting restless due to this burning fire! Suicide is considered as sign of impotence ... Moreover, by committing suicide, I will be permanently away from Sindhu. I can’t  think of her sorrow..Taliram, is there any poison that will not destroy body but would give death.

Taliram: There is no such poison, but there is such a nectar! Dadasaheb, I have come for that only. You are not the person who will stick to tradition. You have a free mind. You are not afraid  by mere public outcry. Therefore I dare to talk to you. If you want to forget your grief  al least little bit, there is a cure! Won't you be angry? Should I tell you the cure?

Sudhakar: Tell me, tell me nay  cure you want!

Taliram: Take some alcohol and lie down.

Sudhakar: What alcohol? Taliram-

Taliram: Yes, alcohol! There is no reason to get shocked I also admit that alcohol is very dangerous and scandalous as an addiction. But you just have to take as medicin and that also very less. Just by taking so little, you need not foolish idea that  it will become habit.  

Sudhakar: No No:, I don't believe in fear of getting the habit! Logically also my conscious mind will be keeping me alert  that I am not doing this for the sake of luxury. Sindhu, Ramlal will need to be explained for understanding - let it be - will I feel some relief for sure?

Taliram: Absolutely.

Sudhakar: Then bring- I am not so weak-minded that I will get used to it. I can make everyone aggreable, but I can't calm down myself this time. Come on, where's it? I am ready to do whatever needed to forget these painful feelings even for a  moment.

Taliram: I have brought it right - take this. (The glass begins to fill.)

Sudhakar: Oh, don't overfill.

Taliram: Yes, yes, very little! That's it - just - one cup!

 (Sudhakar starts drinking. The curtain falls.)

No comments:

Post a Comment