Monday, February 7, 2022

Ekach Pyala- Marathi Drama -Act1.3

My translation attempt of Marathi Drama एकच प्याला (Only one glass)  written Ram Ganesh Gadkari)

Please suggest better option for words and phrases.

Act 1

Episode III

(Venue: Sudhakar's house. Characters: Sudhakar, Padmakar, Sindhu and Sharad.)

Sindhu:

(Raga-mand-garbha; taal-dadra. Chaal-gokulma lai.)

(राग- मांड-गर्भा; ताल- दादरा. चाल- गोकुलमा लई.)

मानस का बधिरावे हे?। बघतसे खिन्न जगता॥ ध्रु.॥
गृहशृंखला या। दृढ बध्द पाया। बल ना भेद तया होता॥ 1

Why my mind has become numb?It is seeing the world sad
These bonds of home have  tied my legs and are not breakable even with force

Padmakardada, my mind is not yet ready to leave house.

Padmakar: Sindhutai, would I have insisted so much unless I find any option? Baba,  even being highly respectable, also told Indirabai a lot; But but could convince his daughter! Dadasaheb, you must have seen in your marriage that  how much more strong relationship exists between  our house and that rich family! Indirabai is the daughter of a feudal lord (Sansthanik), the only one in their family of young age and would be going to in-laws house. Our Sindhutai is her lifelong fast friend. So she insisted that Sindhutai should accompany her while going. Dadasaheb, it is said that  even God has to satisfy the demand of king, kid or woman. And here all three have come together, so there is no surprise that we agree for it . Yes, I promise to send Sindhutai back soon; Besides, we are not so rich to keep fulfilling her needs due to growing age (in pregnancy)? Sharadinibai, what do you think?

Sharad: What grandparents decide should be accepted! Dada(Elder brother ), should I go with my cousin sister?

Sindhu: How can she be left alone here? There is no other lady in the house. And (Sudhakar) will have to be in court all day. Besides, Bhai (Ramlal) also is not here.

Sudhakar: You should take Sharad with you. But Bhausaheb, do you have to  leave today only?

Padmakar: You say stay, and I say go is not the type of  relationship between us. But we, the mill owners, though appear happy to outsiders; But to tell you the truth,   the owner of the mill is one in a thousand machine parts of the mill . He cannot miss routine duty. So please allow me to say goodbye  today.

Sudhakar: OK, if you would have stayed, we would have spent four days talking and living together. Since Bhai (Ramlal) has left, I have lost the occasion of speaking freely with somebody.

(राग: देस-खमाज; ताल: त्रिवट. चाल- हा समजपिया मान मोरे.)

 हे हृदय सुख-विमुख होई।
मन खिन्न सतत, भ्रमणनिरत शांती नाही॥ ध्रु.॥

श्वसन मित्र जणु, दुरी तो होता।
देही कसे चैतन्य राही॥ 1

 (Raga: Des-Khamaj; Taal: Trivat. Chaal- Ha Samajpiya Man More.)

 O my heart has become unhappy.
Thoughts come and go but , no peace of mind.

If  the breathing friend goes away( breath stops)
How would the body remain conscious? 1

Padmakar: What to do? There is no use. Besides, what satisfaction will you get by talking with me? Dadasaheb, only by the grace of Bhai(Ramlal) did we benefit to get  a scholar like you. Sindhutai is lucky for that! Dadasaheb, while talking about you we feel the world worthlessness. Do well-dressed workers like us deserve to talk to you? In fact, while talking to you, I am afraid thoroughly.  If a wrong word is uttered by mistake, we are afraid that it may hurt your mind . Like sheep tied in front of the tiger by Birbal, I sit before you with fear. Hence I request you with folded hands to allow us to go today .

Sudhakar: All right! Sindhu, is Gita in the house? Tell her to call Talirama, so he will make arrangements.

Padmakar: Is Taliram your clerk?

Sudhakar: Yes, he is very clever, intelligent and life-giving.

Sindhu: And Gitabai is beyond  a person in the house!

Padmakar: Tai, how can we waste time talking like this now?

Sudhakar: Indeed, I have still to take charge of the house from Ranisaheb(Sindhu). Not for one or two , but at least for four months I will have to stay on this transfer duty! Because the more days you have, the more months you get.

Sindhu: Brother comes or Baba comes the habit of taunting( of Sudhakar) will not go!

Sudhakar:  Yes, Move on.

Sindhu: Yes, but do you remember what your Bhai(Ramlal) has told you? If not,  then I shall be worrying a lot. You will be staying alone -

Sudhakar: Then you put me in some  boarding house? Ramlal wise and you are more than him! Sindhu, there is nothing in this world except you, which will seduce this Sudhakar-

((राग- बेहाग; ताल- त्रिवट. चाल- टेर सुनीपाये.)

वेध तुझा लागे सतत मनी।
वसतिच केली नामे वदनी॥ ध्रु.॥

जगत् सकल सखी भासत त्वन्मय।
मधुर रूप तव खेळे नयनी॥ 1

Raga- Behag; Tal- Trivat. Chaal- Ter Sunipaye.)

I shall be waiting for you all the time.
Your name is staying in my moth

You are the only world for me.
My eyes always see your beautiful face

(All go.)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment