Thursday, February 10, 2022

Ekach Pyala- Marathi Drama -Act4.3

 

My translation attempt of Marathi Drama एकच प्याला (Only one glass)  written Ram Ganesh Gadkari)

Please suggest better option for words and phrases.

Act IV

Episode III

(Venue- Bundgarden. Characters- Sudhakar and other congregation.)

Sudhakar: What a strange situation I have! The beauty of this garden has been familiar to me since childhood; But today it seems to have a new look. The fallen mind does not have the courage to look at the beautiful but flawless objects with open eyes due to feeling of shame! Today, I am experiencing the strange state of mind of a man who woke up from twenty years of uninterrupted sleep in an English story, looking at the first world. What about this garden, but looking at the world as a whole, in my view, this inner ugliness does not diminish.

I feel like a thief due to habit of bad drink like alcohol to show my face back to the world in which I was raised, from a respectable society, from a prestigious situation, from my colleagues,- even from the all people. Will I find my place in this beautiful world again? While my mouth still smelling of alcohol, will my close friends in the former circle even acknowledge me? Can my lost place be located from my eyes still obscured by alcohol? My sly mind, after getting confronted with  thousands of doubt,s does not dare to go even for shelter in front of generous gentlemen.

It is true that a traveler who has been living in a foreign place for a long time, while walking in his hometown, or a patient who has been bedridden for a long time, while walking around in his house, feels such partial novelty; But where does the longing for the sight of loved ones first, and the innocent joy of rebirth for the second, who gives holy joy and assurance, will be available for person with weakened repentance due to  filthy addiction? How come no one is around still today? (Seeing) Oops, why did these people have come here this time? The traces of alcohol are still there. In such a situation, the addict does not dare to go to the world, so I came here with the expectation of meeting the heavyweight people from the drinking group who repeatedly promised to help me when I was in trouble.But I find the earlier sins standing before me like ghosts (Shastri and Khudabaksh come.)

Shastri: Well done, Sudhakar, You have tried to trick us.! We were tired of looking for you! In the end, I said, who knows you might have become drowsy in the middle of your journey and resting somewhere?

Khudabaksh: We had been to all the meetings, and gatherings. Just as last fakir is found  in the mosque, we searched all drinking places also!

Shastri: We searched drinking places but not the bottles!

Khudabaksh: Oh man, we removed the mud of all the gutters ; But you could not be found!

Shastri: Well Khansaheb, don't waste any more time now. Sudhakar, as Talirama's illness is on the rise, we have to take turns all week watching him. So we have to arrange  a special meeting of our group  to decide its schedule, so come to the club early.

Sudhakar: Even though Taliram  is dying, I don't want to come to the club now!

Khudabaksh: Why such annoyance? The meeting is not just plain( it includes drinking)!

Sudhakar: I told you once that I will not come! Not only today, but I will never come!

Khudabaksh: Come on ! If you are not, the meeting has no color! Similar to whiskey without ice is not fun without you!

Sudhakar: What, how should  I tell you? I quit drinking!

Both: What? Abandoned? From now on?

Sudhakar: Yes, from now on!

Shastri: What are you talking about? You've never talked like this even after you are  drunk! What you will do after quitting drinking? Hey crazy, once you make one thing close to you, what kind of wisdom in abandoning it? Hey- स्वधर्मे निधनं श्रेय: परधर्मो भयावह:!  Sticking to our religion till death is good, accepting other religion is disastrous::! Is it not true Khansaheb?

Khudabaksh: You spoke correctly! Hey friend, 'Apna so apna!' (Ours is ours) Come on, leave this crazyness. (Sudhakar doesn't say anything.)

Shastri: Come on, Khansaheb, it is better to let the heated glass cool down naturally! If you add water to dry it, it will crack suddenly! This is the only temporary regret. The ashes put on the head due to accepting detachment from life do not last long. Be patient, it will automatically hit the road. Sudhakar, we are going; But if you do not come to the club on your own, I will remove it this sacred thread( you will definitely come this is certain), remember this Brahma Vakya! (Shastri and Khudabaksh go.)

Sudhakar: (Swagat) I have been floating in the liquor gutter with these filthy insects till today, haven't I? But what should blame them? The fact that the burnt meteorite mixes with the soil and sits in a row of rocks is to blame for its own downfall. Let it go Even to think about them - not even that - all the adjectives of these two should be applied to me - to be in such a condition - alas! What a terrible situation! I cannot  doesn't even imagine it. Due to intense pride of intelligence,I did not thought of appreciating the handshake with my equivalent colleagues. Today, I am struggling to find the support of the feet of the same incompetent people sitting on the shore of the sea to get out of the sea of ​​alcohol.

(An ordinary person comes.) Sudhakara, in order to please this low grade man, be ready to spread the word artificially by bringing a poor smile on your face with a hopeless look! (Greets him; he leaves without accepting the greetings- ( In mind) Oops! Ruthless misfortune, did you not have a mild remedy other than this reckless murder to kill Sudhakar's self-esteem? Why did you plan this last weapon in the beginning? (Another person arrives.)

Another person: (Looking at Sudhakar, in mind) Look at the troublesome! Why this misfortune stood before me? If anyone saw me talking openly with this beggarly drunkard, splinters of bad character will be on all over my body! How to avoid this trouble now? If a cat comes in way we can retrack  thirty steps, if a widow meets in way, keep quiet, child comes in way thrash it off, but if it is our own sin, then how to repel it is not revealed in any scriptures. It is better to remove this  stone by saying few words. (Sudhakar greets him. Greeting him and smiling dryly) Who? Sudhakar? Wow! Happy to see you! (Starts in a hurry.)

Sudhakar: Raosaheb, a few words with you-

Second personr: Right now I'm a little busy/ Oh that  Dadasaheb has gone- (goes.)

Sudhakar: (In mind) Instead of  blatant insult to by the former is bearable than  this false respect.  . Even if the entire world would have hated me I would not have got offended as with this  scurrilous laughter. ( sees third person)This is the third case. No problem. I have made up my mind to climb all these steps of humiliation one after another.

(A third person  arrives. They greet each other.)

Third person: Who are you? What's your name? I remember to have seen you somewhere.

Sudhakar: Dadasaheb, my name is Sudhakar.

Third person: Sudhakar! Remember to have heard this name, too. What did you say Isn't it Sudhakar?

Sudhakar: Dadasaheb, there is nothing to think about. We have met many times. In Arya Madira Mandal, you  have often promised in brother relation to help me in times of crisis. Dadasaheb, today I am really in trouble and that is why I have to remind you your promise.

Third person: Shameless man, don't you feel ashamed to remind me that thing at this place? Fool, you should have become aware of the  fact when  I acted not to recognize you at first! Promises made at a liquor meeting, acquaintances made, all these need to be thrown away, like a broken glass of liquor, like a wasted food in a hotel. If a drunken friendship in the dark begins to shine in such a light, then like you, I too will have to be disgraced.

We don't get the help of our peers in the low grade form of alcoholism, that's why we big ones have to mix with those at low grade ones like you! But that's about it. No one puts a footrest in the living room. We all know from the beginning that poor alcoholics like you deliberately associate with this addiction in the hope of friendship between the elders. Go away. Don't put anyone like me in such a predicament. (Goes.)

Sudhakar: (In mind) Unfortunately, Sudhakar's shamelessness is still a bit dull. (The fourth person comes - hello.) Raosaheb, I want to say two words to you. My name is Sudhakar! You might have seen my face somewhere, but in reality it is of your complete acquaintance.

Forth person: Sudhakar, what is the reason for speaking so harshly? You are  like my younger brother and  you are talking like this?

Sudhakar: Forgive me for hurting your generous mind. But the bitterness of the medicine I now experienced is still lingering in my mouth. If you can't remember the name of your best friend in difficultyn, you should start critising him for your convenience, this is the normal way of the world. If the face of the acquaintance does not recognise, then it means that he has to show so much sophistication that even the clerk of the firm should keep it as example while verifying the signature on the bill. But let it go. It would be rude for a good man like you to hear this. Raosaheb, I am in a strange situation today. I want a job! Raosaheb begs so much that you have a job somewhere, give me a job somewhere; I mean three souls ( will be saved)- (throat gets choked.)

Fourth person: Job to you - Sudhakar - What job can I give you? Your intelligence, your cleverness, your merit-

Sudhakar: Why talk about  my worthiness? My worth is less than that of an animal! Peon's, labouer's, any kind of job - Raosaheb, there is a question of three stomachs, so in the worry! If not I would have been ready to bear dust of cobbler like donkey.

Fourth person: You are like younger brother to us - what can we not  do for you? There is one job- with  fifteen rupees per month-

Sudhakar: It's more than enough - Raosaheb -

Fourth person: But it is of  the contractor to manage the store. Spadesi, shovel, yes, no - I mean, today I you have to manage  movable goods of about fifty rupees  in your hands and - don't be angry. Sudhakar, you are like our younger brother! You will not do any mischief but  - need is of a very worthy, honest person in that place - yes,suppose there is  a trickster and he took two items to  sell  and  get drunk - at least he needs bail!

Sudhakar: Then you have to post bail for me-

Fourth person: What to say now? Sudhakar, you are like our younger brother! I want to tell you clearly - look at this, you are addicted, your bail is like keeping fire in  your cloth wearing - yes, you only tell me – how can you trust addicted people? So, I have to tell you with folded hands in this crisis, like my younger brother, you - I want to say no to you - but you can ask  someone else - yes, that also is true, really, who else will be readyt? Yeah Al that sounds pretty crap to me, Looks like keeping foot on spike knowingly. It is very difficult.. The world is like this! You are like our younger brother! So we have the right to advice to you - the implication is that drinking is not good. Alcohol is there and  the man's credit is gone, you are discredited! No one will allow you  to stand in the doorway, no real sympathizers will be there - everyone will speak at length giving respect apparently – your brother will tell you same lesson – I want to tell you as our younger  brother - Sudhakar, you give up alcohol! Ok come on now.  It's time!

Sudhakar: (In mind) Enough! I no longer have the strength to see the unfortunate Dashavatar( many  types)! The one who still has smell of yesterday’s drink should advise me to stop drinking! Should a person not worth a shoe thrashes me like shoes? How can I get the sympathy of a virtuous man when the poor of the poor have trampled me? How can I show my face who has been kicked by drunken friends to someone ? In what capacity should I go and stand in front of my hungry baby, Sindhu, who are struggling? Stupid father - incompetent husband - worthless man - half-hearted drunkard - God, God, why did you give birth to this Sudhakar, and kept him alive by giving birth? What do Ii do? Where to go? How to get out of this world? How to get killed myself? But even a healthy mind is afraid to look at the harsh form of death for suicide. Then where will the drunken weak mind get such courage? Alcohol is the only form of death known to a drunkard! Alcohol is the only way to stop the agony of suffering! This is the last salutation of Nirvan to despair, to humanity with children, to the world with Sindhu, to happiness with virtues, to Jagadishwar with the world! Now only  alcohol - alcohol till death - alcohol till the end! (Goes. The curtain falls.)

No comments:

Post a Comment