Monday, February 7, 2022

Ekach Pyala- Marathi Drama -Act1.1

My translation attempt of Marathi Drama एकच प्याला (Only one glass)  written Ram Ganesh Gadkari)

Please suggest better option for words and phrases.

Act 1

First Episode

(Venue: Sudhakar's house. Characters: Sudhakar is sitting near the telephone.)

Sudhakar: Who is ringing the bell three times? Who?

 (Listening)

‘Yes, I am Sudhakar! But who is talking? Ramlal?’

 (Listening again)

‘Yes. she done all packing. You have to go early.  Sindhu, please come here.  Sindhu!’

Sindhu: What is this? Why you have started calling me by name?

Sudhakar: So should I miss  your name? Then you only will come back shouting in my name! Look, Bhai Saheb  has now asked, is everything  ready for his departure? He will be coming soon.

Sindhu: All luggage packing is ready; But I am not feeling  any enthusiasm to  do any work as my brother is leaving.

 

(Raga: Yaman; Taal: Trivat. Chaal: Yeri Ali Piya Bin.)

(राग: यमन; ताल: त्रिवट. चाल : येरी आली पिया बिन.)

लागे हृदयी हुरहुर। अजि।
सुखविषय गमति नच मज सुखकर॥ ध्रु.॥

I am feeling sad today. My heart is craving.

काही सुचेना।
काही रुचेना।
राही कुठे स्थिर
मति नच पळभर॥ 1

Can’t think

Can’t rejoice

Can’t concentrate

On anything, even for a second


Sudhakar:
Has the clouds before the rain started gathering? Sindhu, how can that be? The world we have come to is so miraculous that we have to spend days and nights constantly waiting for the good in it!

(Raga: Chhayanat; Taal: Trivat. Chaal: Nachat Dhee Dhee.)

सुखचि सदा कधि मिळत न कवणा।
मिश्ररूप जग। सुखचि रिघे अघ।
दु:खातुनि हो जन्म सुखांना॥ ध्रु॥

हो जरि आशा मात्र सुखवशा।
करित विधि तरी अंति निराशा॥
रमत मतिही नच प्राप्त सुखीही मग ।
करि अवमाना॥ 1

Nobody gets  happiness forever.

It is all mixed up.  Happyness comes like that

Sadness is the birth of happiness.

Eventhough we hope for happiness

Destiny disappoints us at the end

Then we cannot enjoy happiness also

And feel depressed.

Never give up hope. Besides, Ramlal Bhai is going for such an important work! Should we make him feel our  despair at this occasion. Oh No!  on the contrary we should double his enthusiasm.

Sindhu: How can we disguise ourselves from our feelings? Men (Male) are called to have a heart of stone. It starts to feel real at some point! Don't you feel bad?

Sudhakar: You can see the inscriptions of Ramlal's past deeds on my stone heart. For you, it might be  only affection between the people of your maiden family  and your brother; But to me, he is in my father's place.  While walking down the street, if I remember  Ramlal's name, so I remember his entire good deeds for me.

I was hardly sixteen years old, Baba( my father) passed away before  I could pass my entrance exam; Considering old age and to relieve me of responsibility to care my sister Shard, he arranged her marriage at the age of eight. But on the sixteenth day of the marriage, to  her misfortune daughter-in-law expired. Even her new father-in-law  sent her back to our home forever!

Thus without  our parents, we were considered as  two orphon children! There was no support for money and no support from relatives! At that time, Ramlal stood in front of me like God! The fact is that I never took his help for my education because of my selfhelp nature; But he did not let the responsibility of taking care of Sharad fall on me; I successfully passed my graduation till the end by taking private teaching  jobs and so on;

Later, Ramlal only persuaded your father to bring us together. We are seeing these golden days today, because of the grace of a Ramlal!

Sindhu, this whole thing has been rising in my mind since this morning! I could not rest telling it to somebody, hence I am telling you in detail as if you do not know anything. How can I stay without feeling bad for going of  Ramlal?  But in this world, you always have to keep an eye on the outcome! We sit with sad mood  like this and imagine if Ramlal comes  suddenly - (Ramlal comes.)

Sindhu: Brother, you have hundred years of life!

Sudhakar: It is true isn’t it. Then  give him send off with a calm mind. Brother, I have had enough to calm her down. I think, from now on, I will have to give up my lawyer's charter and start doing this business only! Well, brother, when do you want to leave?

Sindhu: Wait, brother, instead of telling me when to go from here, when you will come back here again, tell me exactly, let's see once - tell the truth, yes!

Ramlal: So was it false what I was telling for  so many days? Tai, even if  I say a lot that I will come on a certain day  or  I will come in two years; But the will of the Lord stands in the midst of further accomplishment. Who knows, I will come in two years or even in two months! So much so that I may not go at all or may not  come back; This may be our last meet.

(राग: भूप; ताल- एकताला. चाल- रतन रजक कनक.)

परम गहन ईशकाम।
विश्वा जरि पुण्यधाम।
मनुजा तरी गूढ चरम।
चिर अभेद्य साचे॥ ध्रु.॥

क्रीडा दैवी विराट।
मनुजसृजन क्षुद्र त्यात।
मानुषी मनीषा!।
गणन काय त्यांचे?1

 (Raga: Bhoop; Taal- Ekatala. Chaal- Ratan Rajak Kanak.)

The world though good place

Is very complex to understand

For human mind it is

A permanent unsolvable mystery

God’s deeds are vast

Human being is just a speck in it

How Its mind can comprehend it?

 

Sudhakar: Brother, you are a complete idiot. I had been blocking these Ganga  Yamuna( her tears from both eyes) for so long by telling some things here and there; Now with your saying truth, their flow has started uninterrupted. You fool,  you don't know that it is easy to cross the Indus River overcoming  the scripture regulations. It is even easier to cross the Black Sea, the Yellow Sea, or the Red Sea, the ocean floor, using steam power; But no man has ever been able to tread on the Ganges(stop the tears), which originated in Manas sarovar( originated in mind) simily with Manas Sarovar in Himalayas), from the eyes flowing into  the pink sea of the cheeks!

(Raga- Multani; Tal- Trivat. Chaal- Humse Tum Rar.)

सरिता जनि या प्रबला भारी।
जरि दिसती शीर्ण नयनांती अविकारी॥ ध्रु.॥

उत्तान गमति दर्शनी जरी। गंभीर अति तरी।
भवजलधीहुनी दुस्तर संसारी॥ 1

These rivers are very strong in the world

Though they look very soft in eyes


Though they look  fickle, they are very serious

More difficult than the sea of life   1

 

Ramlal: One should not presume something, this is my determination. Sindhutai, the bitter truths in this fickle world must be understood at least superficially.

(Raga- Shankara; Tal- Trivat. Chaal- Sojani Nari.)

संसारी विषारी। तीव्र सत्ये।
अमृत होती। कृतिने कान्त॥ ध्रु.॥

दिव्य रसायन। संकटांतकी।
सत्यपरिचये। क्षणि असुखान्त॥ 1

Strong poisonous truths of world

Can be turned into nourishing by efforts

The knowledge of reality In distress and troubles

Gives solace at least for  short time 1

 

By the grace of God, if we have to face  that unfortunate experience, we shall not get confused  at the first sight of such event.

Sudhakar: You also are feeling intensely. Really,  you have proved yourself as  a true! Sindhutai, now you hug! Brother, if you want to go, don't say such a silly nonsense; you are a regular messiah of nonsense! Sharad may come now and both pair of Ganga yamunas will start flowing ( Both will start crying). Geeta of  Taliram  will come- that naive soul, even laughing and crying does not have its own pleasures and sorrows for her!  Saying this, rivers with  the tide as described in  a geography will gather here and turn  our Maharashtra like Punjab (full of rivers)! Think about how much you will be disturbed by this in your journey. To avoid the hassle, the men avoid the Chaturmas (period of religious restrictions) and plan the winter or summer for the journey, but at the time of actual departure, the wives bring the rainy season  (start crying)! You are a bachelor wandering in the world; So you don't know that seasonal rules do not always remain the same in a man-woman relationship!

Sindhu: See, he doesn’t  think of time for such  jokes here and howfar to go. Just  noticed Gangayamuna (my crying), it goes on flowing!

Sudhakar: Sindhu, do not let me be tormented by your serious advice. Once in a couple of months the baby is born, you can  tell him what to say.

Ramlal: And what if she has these wish symptoms during pregnancy ?

Sindhu: Brother, do you want to have fun like that too? You know her  nature since childhood?

Ramlal: Tai, that's right. Sudha, you too sit down, Sudha, In your presence, Tai, I  have to tell you few words. Now you have said that I have known the nature of Sudha since childhood, it is true, and that is why I want to tell me. Tai, this Sudhakar is a priceless gem found at the bottom of the sea of poor people. Tai, it is difficult to get such gems but it is very difficult to keep them in hand when you get them.

Sudhakar is intelligent. Needless to say, he is truly supernaturally intelligent. Born as self confident  and because of his self-reliance he has become aggressive. From now on, he is on a journey through the early stages of practical life. He wants to reach the place where his intelligence can be adorned from the crowd of competitors.

I give a simple example; When a duckling from its herd swims in the water with its inherent style, the chickens around it and the chickens that grow with it start chirping in surprise and fear. In the practice of the world, the parable of the beast fear and surprise are feelings but in case of human beings there is hate and envy also.

Sudhakar is currently in the position of a  lawyer. Because everyone has taken the same exam, his lawyers think he is one of them. Because of his progress through ordinary class due to his intelligence, he is being pushed back, and his peers are pursuing him out of hatred and envy. Even a handful of famous and well settled people also do not allow a new candidate to share his or her lucky success. Young intellect, aggressive nature due to  self-confidence is considered as arrogance by these old people and they hate his subjugation even more.

Sudhakar is making his way through the crowd of life struggles at this time by pushing the back to the side and pushing the equal to the side. There is a need of someone close to him, someone who appreciates him, gives him patience, satisfies him, and balances him in a fit of rage. I have been managing him  since his childhood as far as I could.

Sindhu, before I go to England - I have handed over my brother to you today today  though  he is more related  to your life unlike me, an outsider. Sindhu, always engage him in the work that can be done to fulfil his immense intelligence. Only if he ever gets discouraged - clever girl, you are omnipotent. Any man who sees such a suitable bride like you in such a happy beginning of married life, the world will ask the Lord to bless you for the eternal benefit of that happiness - I am fortunate to get you both together and feel honoured for it.

Sudhakar: Thanks, Ramlal, you have finally gone to your doctor's habit of giving medicine! She will remember what medicine to cure my mind! Now tell what is prescription also to conclude. You are not satisfied when I called you educated ediot. You have create another concern in her mind by talking something about me? This has created worry about you and care about me until you come back in two years!

Sindhu: Two years? Will you stay abroad for so many more days? There is no one we know there. Moreover your health is  like this!

(Raga: District-Mand; Tal-Dadra. Chaal: Hey Manmohan Savro.)

या जाळी चिंता मना।
तयासि शांति येईना॥ ध्रु.॥

 विरहा न दया। भेदीत हृदया॥
 मानी मुळी नच। सांत्वन मोहाना॥ 1

Worries burn my mind
It is not getting calm

The separation is piercing my heart
 It is not listening to calm down advice

Sudhakar: And if he stays here, can  you make him live forever?

Ramlal: Sudha, you don't have a good idea of ​​human nature – mainly of ladies. They feel that any harm to their loved ones occurs due to   the negligence of a stranger. This thought remains in their mind. In every disastrous event, it is felt that the event could have been averted , if there had been somebody to look after through such women’s affinity,   . "

 

(Raga: Tilang; Taal: Punjabi. Chaal: Base kina wat chalat.)

मृदुलताधाम जगि ललनाहृदय।
सकलशुभनिलय। धरित गुण ललित। मधुरता॥ ध्रु.॥

स्वार्थलव तया। कधी नच ठावा।
सतत असुगणित परहिता॥ 1

Women’s heart is home of tender feelings.
Always have pious and many lovable virtues

They are not selfish any time
Always they care for others.

Sudhakar: The responsibility ofprotecting everybody lies with  Almighty God. Sindhu, Once the God is favorable, then Ramlal will remain  safe even in the turbulent ocean of thousands of miles without your efforts, and if the God is against then no ocean, not even a lake, he will drown me in a small glass also  in spite of your relentless efforts.! (Taliram comes.) What? Have you brought Paithani (costly silk saree) ?

Taliram: Why Paithani right now? They can be brought after  the meals.

Sudhakar: (looking at the clock) There is little time left! Sindhu, make arrangements for putting Pat (wooden flats for sitting)! Taliram, Bring two or three paithani! We are all going to accompany brother to see him off; Sindhu, go immediately. (Sindhu and Taliram go.) Brother, why are you so worried?

Ramlal: Today I am going to leave India and go to Europe to complete my medical studies. Sudhakar! Whenever there is a major change in a person's life, the mood is disturbed by the fusion of the memory of the past and the imagination of the future. With the end of education, the occasion of marriage, the beginning of employment, the death of a responsible father, these changes are taking place in everyone's life.

I am seeing both the  present poverty of India and the glory of England which will be seen tomorrow. At such a time, if the mind is in turmoil, then what is the surprise? Tomorrow I will leave my homeland! The whole world tends to discriminate on the merits, just as the father thinks of the younger when the inheritance of the father's property is passed on to the children. The question of worthiness and worthlessness does not come up only in inheriting the love of mother and motherland. One son may adorn  forty-two clans ( old heritage ), and  other son may drown forty-two clans. But by pointing to their mother, both of them can say with equal right that this is mine! The same is true of the homeland! And that is why it is said that Janani Janmabhumishch Swargadapi Gariyasi. ( Mother and birthplace are better than heaven) . I was deeply saddened by the death of my mother; Today I am experiencing it again-

(Ragini: Hanskinkini; Taal: Jhapatal. Chaal: Naina Surag Sakhi.)

माता वियोगि मज। लोटी दुज्याने॥ ध्रु.॥

क्रीडन मधुर तदंकी। लाभेल ना फिरुनि।
शंका भेदोनि। सुखा ने॥
1

My mother left me today and sent me others

I cannot enjoy playing in your lap without worrying about anything

On this land there is equal right of you, mine, his or of anybody else.  Yours, mine, his and anyone's right to love on this land is exactly the same. The land of sages  life like sacrificial yadnya, land of sacrifice like  of Mahatmas like Shibi Gautama, the brave deeds land of glorious heroes, the Dharma land of holy verses like Yudhisthira-Ashoka, this is our birthplace! Looking at her, Sri Shiva Chhatrapati may have said with as much authority that this is my birthplace - looking at her, as much as Lokmanya Tilak is saying today, this is my birthplace.

(Both go.)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment