Friday, February 11, 2022

Ekach Pyala- Marathi Drama -Act4.5

 Only One Peg

My translation attempt of Marathi Drama एकच प्याला (Only one glass)  written Ram Ganesh Gadkari)

Please suggest better option for words and phrases.

Act IV

Episode fifth

(Venue: Sudhakar's house. Characters: Sindhu is grinding in ragged dress. Child in cradle.)

Sindhu: चंद्र चवथिचा। रामच्या गं बागेमधे चाफा नवतिचा॥
Moon in 4th stage,  Chapha tree in Rama’s garden
Chandra Chavathicha. Chafa Navaticha in Ram's garden.

(Says a couple of times) (Baby starts crying in obedience.) (She gets up and takes him out of cradle.) Why forth cresent of moon came in horizon early. ( Why the baby got up early) I thinkforth moon cresent  has started fasting on Chaturthi? Is the baby hungry? Baby, wait a minute. Now Gitabai will come, I shall tell her to bring milk  for my baby! Why are you soaking the soot in eyes( crying) now? Don't you want to spend some time on the same amount of milk that I had fed you? Don't be so stubborn? The days of getting milk at the time of request, Rajsa, are no longer yours! For us the gokul milk pots are empty

(राग- कालंगडा; ताल- दीपचंदी. चाल- छुपनापे रंग.)

बघू नको मजकडे केविलवाणा, राजस बाळा॥ ध्रु.॥

ये देवा। अपुली ना करुणा तोवरी समजुनी। वर्ते अनुकाला॥ 1

(Raga- Kalangada; Tal- Deepchandi. Chaal- Chhupnape Rang.)

Don't look at me, sorry, Rajas baby
Oh God! Come by listening to our prayer
at this time of need

Even a small soul in poverty needs the understanding of a big man, baby! Awsome, how you smile now! Such wisdom must be learned now! Baby has good nature and delicacy.Praise also can inflict bad luck. One will have to see because of such virtues! True my praise should not have such effect. I shall do cure for this! The baby has again started crying.! Why did you feel bad for the tears that came out of my eyes? Baby, I'm crying, so you are crying? What can I do except crying? Today I felt, God had mercy! He had left drinking with a good oath; But our bad luck got in the way! Just now my brother told me that he has started going in club and  start taking it again! Now baby, you are the  support for our married life, grow up fast, and wipe my tears with your beautiful hands! Don't you want to increase your milk supply with this continuous stream of tears? Have you jstarted meditate with your eyes closed while listening? Or there is no time to laugh, no time to cry! Hi,  shall sing, you sleep.! (Babye falls asleep on her lap and she starts grinding again. Soon Gita enters.) चंद्र चौथिचा। रामाच्या गं बागेमध्ये चाफा नवतिचा!  Chandra Chauthicha. Chafa is new in Rama's garden! (Starts saying again and again. Looking at Geeta) Oh! Gitabai, why are you standing like this? Sit down How is Tali ram doing today? Is he feeling some what better?

Gita: There is no improvement! But Baisaheb, what is your condition? You are making grinding noise also better by your  such a song! Really I salute you.

Sindhu: It is said, the way we think we get similar. At my father's house, when I was a child, our maid used to sing this song in  her sweet voice every morning; I used to hear her lying on my bed all the time. Childhood understanding- Once it comes to mind, I should also grind it with a song; God was not  listening; At that time he could not satisfy my wish ( baby wish); Now, after being found in bad omens round, I regained my childhood and my desire to grind was fulfilled! Remembering that, I was singing! Yeah but Geetabai, we have give this ground flour, how much money we shall get of this work?.

Gita: Saha!

Sindhu: Then why not get it now?

Gita: How to get it before work?

Sindhu: Can we not get it even if we  request (by falling at their feet)?

Gita: The people of that house are very bad! They will not pay even if we request! But Baisaheb, why did you want money now?

Sindhu: (In mind) Now what do you want to say to this girl? How can I tell that there is no foodt for  even a sparrow in the house? Oh God, the owner of worldly wealth. Deva Lakshminarayana, कुबेर तुझा भांडारी, आम्हा फिरविशी दारोदारी! Kubera is your  your treasurer, but we are wandering for money ! Why you take pride in this state.  - but I can;t blame youyou? What will you do if our sins in past life have erupted? In the past life we might have driven out  Brahmin from the food plate, so today we have to search every where for food; In the past, the visitor must have been overwhelmed, so the wealth of house left us! We might have driven out cattle from  the green pastures,therefore  the baby is not getting  the milk today! We have accumulated sins, why we should complain to you for that.?

(राग- सावन; ताल- रूपक. चाल- पति हूं पियूं.)

कशी मी प्रभो निंदू तुला।
नच बघे तुझ्या दोषा।
कोणावरी रोषते।
अणुही धरी न मी।
दोषी स्वभावा! ॥ ध्रु.॥

संचित छळिते।
माझे असे।
भजनी त्याच्या।
नच बललव तुझ्या अमरा दयेला॥ 1

(Raga- Sawan; Taal- Rupak. Chaal- Pati Hoon Piyun.)

How can I condemn you, Lord?
I am not seeing at your faults.
I do not get angry against anybody
or blame bad character

Accumulated sins are troubling me
Due to that I do not blame your lack of mercy.

Gita: You didn't tell me why you require money now?

Sindhu: What to tell, Gitabai? Today, We do not have any food in the house! There is no rice in the house even for God's sake! That's why I was saying- If I could boil  a handful of rice, we can  somehow  pass noon! I have only two pennies for baby milk!

Gita: Oh, then my- (in mind) oh i, but if I offer my money she will not take it( Openly), Baisaheb, if we ask for it from them, how much (Counting money) will get one, two, three and (open) four paise! No, they will not say no? I justy go now come back straight

Sindhu: You can bring it easily! But no. , Take these two paise and bring milk for baby. It is starving sinc long. I grind this flour! Then take it and that's it!

Gita: Baisaheb I had thought to talk for ten times, but now I ask. Your house has been so desecrated and you are still  inquiring about the health of my husband! Since I heard in the story that day, my mind is hurt from that moment! When Ghatotkacha was hit by  the power of the trumpet of Karna, he thought that if we fall back, the people of Pandavas will die! So he took a leap forward and threw such a big body on Kauravasena! Look! One by one, they saw the interests of their men while dying, and at last, from us, my husband made Dadasaheb get used to this liquor, and destroyed your gold like married life just few days back! It is not up to anyone to make it happen, but it would have been better if was four years ago instead of today or tomorrow!

Sindhu: Yes, Geetabai, Why you speak like that? Go. Take a pot from  the house, hurry up and come soon! You are talking like crazy! Look at this, the baby is sleeping on his lap, so it it is difficult to grind; Just put him on that bed while going.  (Gita takes the child.) 'चंद्र चवथिचा-'  'Chandra Chavathicha-' (The child starts crying.) baby has woken up? Bring him here, Gitabai! (Gita brings the child back and leaves.) Please come soon? (To child) Baby, why your sleep got disturbed?? Are you hungry? When he is starving, how can he have sleep? Baby, wait a minute, now Geetabai will come! Oh, you started looking at this flour with such hungry hope? Baby, Ashwatthama was somehow quenched thirst for milk by his mother by mixing water with flour! But baby, your destiny is very lame; We have no ownership over even a pinch of this flour! It belongs to other people! If there is  stream of flour on your face, Taramati's Rohidas will laught at you Rajasa,?

(राग- भैरवी; ताल- पंजाबी. चाल- बाबुल मोरा.)

गुणगंभीरा। त्यजि न लव धीरा॥ ध्रु.॥

सत्त्वपरीक्षा महा। यदा
परमेश्वर नियोजी।
अवसाद तेव्हा उचित का वीरा? 1

(Raga- Bhairavi; Tal- Punjabi. Chaal- Babul Mora.)

 

Oh my serous character do not leave your courage

Remember, your test of virtues is
being taken by the God

Depression is not  appropriate at this stage

Don't  make your face cry! Look, Gitabai is coming by taking milk! (Seeing) Oh lyou( Sudhakar) have come? But how is this coming> Oh God, what luck did you bring me to see?

(Sudhakar comes - his legs are limping.)

Sudhakar: Sindhu, come here, I want to drink more! Not much, just one cup! Bring money! Sindhu, bring money!

Sindhu: From where I should bring  money now? I have nothing!

Sudhakar: You are lying! Come on! Are you bringing or I shall  take your life?

Sindhu: I swear at your feet but I have nothing with me. I had two paise which I gave  to bring milk for the baby! I swear with my hand  on the baby's neck!

Sudhakar: Squeeze his throat! Why you have given money?

Sindhu: Should not I give for baby? What is this?

Sudhakar: Go away! I don't have and he has money? Do you consider that baby more than the husband? Sindhu, you are not a sacred wife! You bastard! That baby belongs to that Ramlal! Not mine

Sindhu: Shiva Shiva! What to say

Sudhakar: No  Shiva Shiva, it is Ramlal! I shall kills it now!

(Goes to the baby with a big stick.)

Sindhu: (panicked) Oh What should I do now? If we shouted and gathered all, something bad would be done by him! God, what shall I  do now? How my torn body with love can protect my baby now!

(Sudhakar hits the stick. Sindhu comes in between; the stick hits her on head and  she falls and becomes unconscious.)

Sindhu: God, take care of my baby!

Sudhakar: You die! Now let the baby die! (He hits the stick. The child dies.)

 (Padmakar comes.)

Padmakar: You bastard, what is this?

Sudhakar: Nothing; I want to drink more - one cup!

No comments:

Post a Comment