Thursday, February 10, 2022

Ekach Pyala- Marathi Drama -Act4.2

 

My translation attempt of Marathi Drama एकच प्याला (Only one glass)  written Ram Ganesh Gadkari)

Please suggest better option for words and phrases.

Act IV

Episode II

(Venue: Sudhakar's house. Characters: Sindhu is folding the paper, Sudhakar is standing behind. Gita is coming.)

Sindhu: This Gitabai, sit for sometime, I have to fold  four more papers. Is it Ok if I require some time?

Gita: Let it take time! Should I help you for folding paper?

Sindhu: No. Gitabai, I swear! Not at all!

Gita: Baisaheb, why  you are saying No? Always you do like this! If I start to touch it a little bit, you  reject !

Sindhu: Gitabai, I have sworn by placing my hands on the feet of him(Sudhakar), that I will not bring into the house even small stick from someone! Work by others  is completely forbidden to us!

Gita: Baisaheb, what should  I say to you? You work so hard and we sit close like a rock and roll our eyes! How would my soul feel?

Sindhu: Gitabai, are you doing very little for us ( you are helping us a lot)? Why are you so grateful for bringing bringing this paper from the printing press by going in the city by walk? Who would work like this for others?

(राग- पहाडी- गज्जल; ताल- धुमाळी. चाल- दिलके तु हान.)

मज जन्म देइ माता।
परि पोशिले तुम्ही॥
 निजकन्यका गणोनी।
न काही केले कमी ॥ ध्रु.॥

उपकार जे जहाले।
हिमाद्रितुंगसे।
शत जन्म घेउनी ते।
फेडीन काय मी॥ 1

सदया मनासि ठेवा।
अपुल्या असे सदा।
उपकारबध्द तनया।
तुमची पदे नमी॥ 2

(Raga- Pahadi- Gajjal; Tal- Dhumali. Chaal- Dilke Tu Han.)

Mother gives me birth
but you have fed me
Considering own daughter
You have not spared anything

You have indebted so high
like Himalaya’s peak
I cannot repay them
even after hundred  lives

This feeling is in my mind
and shall remain so forever
I am bound by your indebtedness
I shall remain at your feet

Gitabai, If you bring such work from anywhere it will be a great help for us

Gita: But God has not given that satisfaction also! Today, I wandered at all places in the  But I didn't get a job in any of the factories! It is learnt that there is a shortage of paper due to the war, so there is no work at all!

Sindhu: What to do it now?

Gita: I have been in the same dilemma! From yesterday there is no work available anywhere in the town! Just like God is waiting to end us!

Sindhu: Gitabai, our destiny is bad; Why we should blame god for that? Well, let us leave the printing press work! Can you get something else?

Gita: What other good work should I search?

Sindhu: No matter what, take out something that can be done in our house! What you can search? Yeah Can we not get grain grinding from some house?  That would good. Can be done in the house.

 Gita: Oh what? Grinding? Baisaheb, what weird work you asked?

Sindhu: what happened ? Why are you looking surprised?

Sudhakar: (In mind) Sindhu, Sindhu, which god has  taught you to speak so?

Gita: Why do people like you have to do the work of grinding? Your father is very rich.You have spent your life  in playing board game. And now you wish to do this type of work?

Sindhu: Yes! Wealth has left me halfway and our hands have only pennies now! It is our  handiwork, what can we do? We have to arrange for food in the day! Was he ( Sudhakar) was capable of getting it? But got stolen from the house of God; That's what he planned! Otherwise why anybody would like this?

(राग- जोगी-मांड, ताल-दीपचंदी, चाल- पियाके मिलनेकी.)

कुणासि निंदू मी काय।
प्राक्तनी जरी।
घडिघडि रोदन माझ्या लिहीत विधाता॥ ध्रु.॥

संचितभागा।
मनुजा भोगाया।
ना टळते कधी हाय॥ 1

(Raga- jogi-mand, tal-deepchandi, chaal- piyake milneki.)

Why I should blame anybody?
It was written in my fate
Destiny has decided to keep me I crying

Whatever is in fate
Has to be be borne by man
This cannot be averted. 1

Gita: Hey, why? Is it easy to grind? The wives of the clansmen are strong enough, but they also get exhaustred. And how it can be done  half-fed?

Sindhu: Hey, I'll do it somehow! Shouldn't we manage the day by working hard even when hungryl? You listen to me. If you find any flour, bring it without any worry! Hey, Have I to do this for somebody else. Please look where you get it.

Gita: Yes, I shall see! As there is no other option, so to do? Well, Baisaheb, I wanted to tell you for two days but could not recall ! Look, I  tell you, will you come where I tell?

Sindhu: Where to come? Tell me

Gita: Amruteshwari!( One temple)

Sindhu: Why come there?

Gita: There are four days of Laksh bhojan( Free meals for one lakh people) today! If you go there for four days, you will get at least some sweets to eat fully! Seeing you on an empty stomach starts craving in  my stomach! (Sindhu turns her face and wipes the tears from her eyes with a sheet.)

Sudhakar: (In mind) Oops, what did I hear? How the heart of this generous but poor girl easily hurt Sindhu's heart! The daughter of the wealthy, the wife of the learned, should this kind-hearted girl take pity on her hunger and preach to her forever? Sudhakara, what is your life! Woe to your addiction and masculinity!

Gita: Oh, have you started crying? Did you find my speech so difficult? I didn’t know it? Baisaheb, I am your crazy daughter; If I spoke something wrong, please don't think about it. I just told casually! But it hurt your soul!

Sindhu: (In mind) This poor girl should be pacified. She  immediately became afraid. (Openly) Gitabai, no, I did not feel bad!

Gita: I don't want to be fooled like that! The why your eyes got filled with tearsl?

Sindhu: I also wanted to come. But look at this, how can I to get out with old torn dress before of other people? So I felt sorry!

Gita: Oh, isn't that all? I was afraid! I thought why I should have told you this! Shall I bring my saree?

Sindhu: Aren't you crazy, Gitabai? Your saree will be too short for me? let it be – It is not necessary Please see where  you can get  the grinding work?

Sudhakar: (In mind) Well done, Sindhu, well done! You covered my drunken bad reputation with the excuse of torn clothes!

Sindhu: Gitabai, why are you silent again?

Gita: What should I you call to your divine nature, Baisaheb? Even the saints of seven lives should take pilgrimage at your feet; And people like us talk about your house as of alcohol  addict .No No Where is God? Or he also has drunk? The toungs of talking bad about your house shoud be cut off,

Sindhu: Yes, Geetabai, should we women speak like that? Husband is like God-

Gita: What a God! Ah, these drunken gods will  flow in the gutter today, and some other placel tomorrow!

Sindhu: Gitabai, Keep quiet! Don't talk whatever comes to your mind. Whatever type husband may be he is given by Deva Brahmins-( God and religion)

(राग- पहाडी- गज्जल; ताल- कवाली. चाल- खडा कर.)

असे पती देवचि ललनांना।
तयासि अन्य भावना ना॥

स्पर्शमणि वनितामन साचे।
करित जे कांचन लोहाचे॥

खपतिच्या अंगिंच्या दोषा।
गणिती गुण मधुर आर्ययोषा॥

तयासह नरकयातनांला।
स्वर्गसुख मनि समजति अबला॥

असे जो प्रस्तर जननयनी।
गणी त्या ईशचि तद्रमणी॥

वसुनि त्या या देवानिकटी।
ईशपद लभति सपति अंती॥ 1

(Raga- Pahadi- Gajjal; Tal- Kavali. Chaal- Khada Kar.)

Husband is the God for women
There is no other relation

Woman’s  mind just with touch
can convert iron into gold

They conceal their defects
and  praise their virtues

The pains like hell with them
are considered as heavenly happiness

The relation that exists in society
Women consider it as God

By staying near husband
They attain God grace with him

Gita: It seems that God himself is not bothering about  shame now! Baisaheb, tell me to wash your clothes - I will wash it seven times not just once - but don't stop  my mouth with such thoughts! Why is the use of such husbands? Why their wisdom  gets vanished ? There is no capacity to do good things in any of them.. We should worship these gods by scolding  regularly! If I had found that God, I would  have  taken him in front of you, squeezed his ear and asked him harshly, "Look at this lady(godess), open your eyes once and then tell me, why did you pour alcohol like this in a house full of children?"

Baisaheb, you are angry with me; But I am quite bold! You are so pious like Sitasavitri, what status is kept by Dadasaheb of you? Well learned! But all his wisdom now gets born out of a bottle, eating at some filthy rotten place , and the third in some place of dead bodies  - let it go, I can’t control  my mouth! Baisaheb, looking at you means my tongue cracks! Please tell, what he has done for you? Has he give some food to you on time, has he brought even a small cloth piece for your dress? All the time his intellect remained drowned in drink.

What are these gods? They are stone without color! And you are  sitting and crying  ! They say now ours  is queen’s kingdom, isn't it? Then why women are tormented in this kingdom of the queen? If somebody gives me kingdom I shall tell all wives that if the husband  comes home by drinking alcohol, tie him with rope and put him  in the stable. It is said that husband is like God.! That is how the virtue of husbands has become adorable! Hhe who drinks alcohol is not a husband? They should even not be considered as human beings!

Sindhu: Gitabai, why do you want to leave your religion with a dirty tongue! Look, the baby is hungry; A little milk- (Looking back in mind ) Oh! Are you( Sudhakar) here? I think  think he has  listened  to Gitabai's speech? (Openly) Gitabai, go and  bring milk? (Indicates her to go.)

Gita: (seeing) Oh! Dadasaheb was here? My tongue was talking all the time!

Sindhu: (side by side) Let's go inside, I shall give the pot for milk. Let's go. (They go. Sudhakar comes forward.)

Sudhakar: (In mind) Sindhu, with such greatness, why did you stop  Geeta speaking? How will your delicate words awaken my soul, which has fallen asleep under the influence of alcohol? I should be hit with such cruel stones through Geeta's mouth! Every word of Geeta was hurting me like a whip! Sindhu, you have concealed this liquor sitting on your husband's belly, hence it is biting  you all more like a scorpion sting sitting on a samba pindi ( Shankara tomb)!

Sudhakara, scoundel, what an insult you inflicted to this deity by becoming an animal only by habit of drinking alcohol! Where did all your wisdom go? I kicked the Brahmin caste high virtues, gave up the responsibility of widow and started drinking like a sinner! Oops! Look, Sindhu has come. How can I show this mouth to the goddess with which I drank alcohol?

(Crying with his face covered. Sindhu comes closer and stands up.)

Sindhu: What is this ? Gitabai is outspoken! Don't take her words for granted!

Sudhakar: Sindhu, I quit drinking from today!

Sindhu: (happily) Really?

Sudhakar: True, very true! Quit drinking from today; I leave it  forever!

Sindhu: Ahaha! If that happened then God blessed me.

(राग- भैरवी; ताल- केरवा. चाल- गा मोरी ननदी.)

प्रभू अजि गमला मनी तोषला॥ ध्रु.॥

कोपे बहु माझा।
तो प्रभुराजा आता हासला। मनी तोषला।

मृतचि हृदय होते नाथ, हे पूर्ण झाले।
परि वचनसुधेने त्यासि जिवंत केले॥

अमृतमधुर शब्दा त्या पुन्हा ऐकण्याते।
श्रवणि सकल माझी शक्ति एकत्र होते॥ 1

(Raga- bhairavi; tal- kerva. Chaal- ga mori nandi.)

God listened to me and is happy in mind
He was very angry but now smiled with happiness in mind

Heart of my husband was dead, but got fulfilled
Just by good advice words it became alive  

I gather my all strength
to hear those sweet words like Amrit

Look at this, keeping my head on your feet, I beg that this determination of auspicious time should never be forgotten. (She falls to his feet. He raises her.)

Sudhakar: Sindhu, Sindhu, what are you doing? You are putting  your head on my feet? This Sudhakar's? This drunkard of Sudhakar? Who drowned his learning, knowledge, reputation in glass of acohol?Sindhu, what I have done with my alcohol addiction? Alcohol destroyed father's virtue, Brahmakuli's purity! Such a mockery of a goddess like you! Food was being served to all free at your  father's house every day and I made you so expensive to get food. That a girl like Geeta shows mercy on you and indicate you the way to Sahasrabhojan( Free food place)! As a child, you might have torned  paithani( rich high value cloth) to prepare dress for dollin  a doll-doll wedding; You could not go to in public today because of your torn clothes! While playing in your father's house, you would have filled the grinder with pearls, but no one would have thought of it; I made you in such a condition that you have to drop  pearls of tears and grind for getting money for your stomach! Your holy merit has such a high value that the Panchapativrats ( sacred devoted wives)should worship you every day for meritorious deeds! Your boy was  touched by a beast like Talirama! Seeing the poor but holy widow, the gods should also give way to her path, I also mocked the poor widow Sharad! I am the sinner of sinner! You put your head on my feet? Why don't you just throw me away to hell?

Sindhu, what did Geeta lie about? Why are you worshiping a stone god like me with good devotion? Do I deserve to be your husband? Babasaheb, you have drowned this gem in alcohol! But what do you know first, that this learned Sudhakar of the Brahmin clan is going to become such a drunken scoundrel in the future! In order to kill Takshaka, Astika invited Indradeva, who is also supporting him, to jump into the fire. In the same way if the sacred women like you should kick out the husbands who take drink for protecting house. Then only this addiction of alcohol will be eliminated from our society.

Sindhu: Please listen? Now I will not allow you to say such bad things. You have decided to  leave  drinking habit from today? Then why bother with the past? That has gone to  Ganges river. Once the mind is determined, then what we  lack? Everything will be like gold again! Have you made the decision final?

Sudhakar: Forever, forever, even forever! I swear to your baby that alcohol will be banned from today! It doesn't matter if the lawyer's charter is gone; I shall find some job through  my four influential  friends. Now this Sudhakar will not go beyond one word of yours!

Sindhu: Ahaha! If this happens, I will pay wave Pancharati (five lamps) for worshipping  Amruteshwar - what a lot of attention - but I will wave the Pancharati of the five souls! With one of your words, my happiness is finding three worlds (Tribhuvan )also small and I can reach sky ( I am very happy)! I don't know whom to tell these gold letters to! First of all, let me tell this story of baby's tiny soul! (Goes.)

Sudhakar: (In mind) This ecstasy in eternal despair will definitely give me huge  excitement?

(राग- खमाज; ताल- त्रिवट. चाल- दखोरी गइ गइ.)

देतसे बहु उत्साह मना विमल
हिचा हर्षातिरेक नवचि जीवना॥ ध्रु.॥

 निर्मल मंगल पावन पुण्यद।
जे त्रिभुवनी। तद्भवन सतीमन।
प्रसाद त्याचा जनि करि न काय॥ 1

(Raga- Khamaj; Taal- Trivat. Chaal- Dakhori Gai Gai.)

I am getting highly excited in mind
It is new life with plenty of happiness

Pure, sacred, pious in three worlds
woman’s house is like that
What Its blessings cannot  do life

(Sindhu brings the child.)

Sindhu: Do you see how this liar laughs when he hears this? Baby, you will have a golden day again!

(राग- पहाडी; ताल- कवाली. चाल-तारि विछेला.)

स्वस्थ कसा तू? ऊठ गडया।
झणि टाक उडया॥ ध्रु.॥

नकळे का वर्षे।
घन सुधेचा, छबडया?1

सरले अजि सारे।
कुदिन अपुले, बगडया! ॥ 2

(Raga-Pahadi; Tal-Kavali. Chaal-Tari Vichela.)

Why are you calm Get up
and start jumping with joy

Amrut carrying cloud has started
Raining, my baby

Baby, why are you still remained so young? Don't you want to run to Baba and Bhai with this Gudi of happiness? Why are you asking me again and again? Ask your dad? Have you heard, it is better to say it with your own mouth!

Sudhakar: Baby, I swear by you that this Sudhakar has given up alcohol forever, even forever! (They both start kissing the boy. The curtain falls.)

No comments:

Post a Comment