Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Ekach Pyala- Marathi Drama -Act3.4

 

My translation attempt of Marathi Drama एकच प्याला (Only one glass)  written Ram Ganesh Gadkari)

Please suggest better option for words and phrases.

Act III

Entrance IV

(Venue: Sudhakar's house. Characters: Taliram, Sudhakar, Sindhu, Sharad.)

Taliram: I should not say that; But Dadasaheb, now is the time to talk! What value you have in your own house? Who are you? O Dadasaheb-

Sudhakar: Taliram, do you still call me Dadasaheb? My friend, how I am your boss? Why do you call me such a stranger? Call me Sudhakar- Don't call me Dadasaheb- Call me Sudha-

Taliram: Dadasaheb, the people who call you Sudha are different. We aret poor people! We shall at maximum  give our life for you! Show can l we call you Sudha? We know your worth. The people who call you Sudha are different.

Sudhakar: Who are those great people? Who calls me Sudha? Calling me by nick name in my house? Directly in my house?

Taliram: Your house? Dadasaheb, this house is not yours. This house belongs to Ramlal!

Sudhakar: What value Ramlal has in my house?

Taliram: He has value, Therefore he forbade me to come to your house. I am  your best friend – I am not allowed to come home! Ramlal has banned me!

Sudhakar: I ban Ramlal. I tell him not to set foot in the house. The house is mine!

Taliram: Who listens to you? Baisaheb( Sindhu) favors him, Sharadinibai favors him! Today, all together in collusion   have telegraphed Padmakar. He will come and put control on  you! He will  push me out of the house!

Sudhakar: Everyone is a scoundrel, a thief, a scoundrel! Let him come, let Padmakar come, if not let his father come! Padmakar, his father, Ramlal, Sharad, Sindhu – I shall kick everybody  out of the house!

Taliram: Will those people get out? Padmakar now runs your expenses! How will he go The house is his. The money is his and the house is his too!

Sudhakar: I don't want anyone's even a pai! I can create water spring by a kick ( I can earn by my efforts) I don't want anyone's money! I'd like some alcohol! Bring a little!

Taliram: What would Baisaheb( Sindhu) will say to me if she saw you taking drink in this house?

Sudhakar: Take it out! Fill in front of Sindhu and Sharad! If someone speaks even a letter, I shall see! Sindhu, Sharad come here, run! Come on everyone - run Sindhu, Sharad! Taliram, fill it! (Sindhu and Sharad come; Taliram starts filling the glass.)

Sindhu: Taliram, Taliram, what are you doing?

Sudhakar: Don't say a word! You both stand up without any word  and see! Taliram, bring that glass to me!

Sharad: Taliram, you are just a beast! Do you have any shame of your both eyes?

(राग- सोहनी; ताल- त्रिवट. चाल- काहे अब तुम.)

दुष्टपति सर्पा सदर्पा, कालकूटा
वमसि भुवनासि अखिलाही तये जाळितोसि॥ ध्रु.॥

पितृमातृरुधिरी तृषित गमसि अति।
कृतान्तासि भय निकट बघुनि तुजसि॥ 1

(Raga- sohni; tal- trivat. Chaal- kahe ab tum.)

Poisonous bad natured serpent
Lives on earth but burns the world

You satisfy your thirst by drinking blood of your parents
The all destructor also will be afraid of you

Taliram: Dadasaheb, your ladies are cursing me; Listen! (Drinks.)

Sudhakar: Sindhu, Sharad, I will kick you both!

Taliram: I even broke the Mangalsutra from my wife's neck! But Dadasaheb, your ladies gave us insults and curses! I am brave  who breaks the mangalsutra from his wife's neck!

Sudhakar: Break the Mangalsutra from the neck of Sindhu! Get up Taliram, I swear to you! You are my friend. You are the heart of the soul! You are my brother You are the father! You are my God Get up, break the Mangalsutra from the neck of Sindhu! Then  break neckless in Sharad's neck! Get up, break Mangalsutra and then break my sacred thread too! (Taliram gets up and comes near Sindhu and Sharad and starts pulling Mangalsutra.)

Sharad: Dada, Dada, what is this nonsense? You are telling this-

Sindhu: Oh God, Brother-

 

Sudhakar: Yes, stand still , don't move; Otherwise I shall cut your  neck! Don't take brother's name! Don't move- Taliram, why you are waiting? Break that  Mangalsutra! (Taliram puts his hand on Mangalsutra, then Ramlal, Padmakar and Babasaheb come. Padmakar kicks Taliram away. Taliram starts crying and starts drinking.)

Taliram: Dadasaheb, I got kicked! Padmakar kicked me! Ramlal is here! We shall keep drinking!

Padmakar: Shameless, shameless beastI shall tear you up!

Ramlal: Sindhutai, how did this Taliram come home?

Sudhakar: How did you come our house? Come on, walk out of my house! Padmakar, you also go out! Kick that old man(Bhausaheb) kick! Go away. Taliram, kick one by one all ! scoundrels!

Padmakar: Dadasaheb, what are you doing?

Sudhakar: Go away! Padmakar, Ramlal, first you go out! You are colluding with Sindhu in my house?

Taliram: At the time when your charter was revoked, he hugged Baisaheb(Sindhu)!

Padmakar: You scoundrel! I will cut out the tongue if you say one lword!

Taliram: Dadasaheb, - so he(Ramlal) forbade me to come back home?

Sudhakar: Ramlal, don't stand in front of me! Padmakar Get out of the house before! Old man( Bhausaheb) go out!

Padmakar: Yes, yes, this is absurd! Brother, come on, there is no point in standing here! Sindhutai, come on, it's not right for you to stay in this house. This is pure hell!

Taliram: Dadasaheb, money is talking!

Sudhakar: Go all, Sindhu, you also go! Sharad, you too go! I don't need anyone!

Padmakar: Okay. Get up Sindhu, don't stay in this house even for drinking water! Starts going-

Sindhu: Brother, where do you want me to go from this house?

Padmakar: Anywhere! Anywhere out of this hell!

Sindhu: Is this hell? Is it hell where  these feet are( Sudhakar is)? Brother you are wise? Crazy, where these feet are( where Sudhakar is ), there is my heaven, there is my Vaikuntha, and there is my Kailas!

(राग- पहाडी- गज्जल; ताल- धुमाळी. चाल- दिल बेकरार तुने.)

कशी या त्यजू पदाला।
मम सुभगशुभपदाला।
वसे पादयुग जिथे हे।
मम स्वर्ग तेथ राहे॥
स्वलोकी चरण हे नसती।
तरी मजसी निरयवसती ती॥
नरकही घोर सहकान्ता।
हो स्वर्ग मला आता॥ 1

(Raga- Pahadi- Gajjal; Tal- Dhumali. Chaal- Dil Bekarar Tune.)

How I can leave these feet?
My godlike sacred feet

Where these feet stay
That is my heaven

In our house if these feet are not there
Then it is not a place for me to live

Even if my husband is in hell
It is the heaven for me

Without these steps, even in heaven I shall feel hell! Instead of living in the kingdom of your fourteen quarters and becoming the queen of hell, I will be a slave of misfortune and pass my days in  sorrow sitting all day and night at these feet.

(Shee puts his head on Sudhakar's feet; he kicks her.)

Sudhakar: I will kick you out like this!

Padmakar: Look, Tai, look! At least now leave  the temptation of these feet!

Sindhu: Dada, why give up? These legs are at my forehead. Oh, if God turns back from me, where would I go if the legs with whose support I was supposed to stand, let me go? (To Sudhakar) Why you are driving me out? Oh my God,, should not I have to stay in this footdust for my forehead? Don't drive this poor maiden away from your feet - the god of gods!

(राग- पहाडी- जिल्हा; ताल- केरवा. चाल- मान नाही सैय्या.)

लोटू नका कान्ता।
अशी दूर कान्ता।
केवि जगे दीना मीना।
जललवरहिता॥ ध्रु.॥

हेचि चरण माझे।
जीवन जगती।
मृतचि गणा मज हे दुरी होता॥ 1

(Raga- Pahadi- District; Tal- Kerwa. Chaal- Man Nahi Saiyya.)

Do not push Oh husband like this
to me your wife
Can fish survive without water

These feet only is my life
I shall die if got separated

Sudhakar: Sindhu, if you want to stay here, don't even take the name of these scoundrels! I don't want to bring a penny from these thieves' house. If so, stay in this house!

Taliram: Well done, Dadasaheb! Make her swear and then allow her to stay in this house! Make her swear!

Sudhakar: Sindhu, do you agree? I just don't like your Gangayamuna( crying)!

Taliram: Not just confession! Dadasaheb, wash your hands in the flowing river! Ask her to take  an oath – I am warning like Hamlet's father you! Baisaheb( Sindhu), swear!

Sudhakar: (shouts loudly) Angry monster, stay calm!' Sindhu, take an oath now, or walk out of the house! And you should not bring someone's money, or something in the home!

Sindhu: I put my hands on your feet and say, I will suffer, work hard for the rest of my life, but I will not let anyone bring any money earned by him  into this house. Except the  hard work from both of us, any wealth of the world is just waste leaves for me  today onwards

(राग- काफी- जिल्हा; ताल- कवाली. चताल- कत्ल मुझे कर.)

 सत्य वदे वचनाला। नाथा।
स्मरुनि पदाला या सुरविमला॥ ध्रु.॥

वित्त पराजित मानि विषसम।
स्पर्शिन ना कधी मी त्याला॥ 1

(Raga- Kafi- District; Tal- Kavali. Chatal- Kill me.)

 Oh, my husband I tell you the truth
by remembering these pure sacred feet

Money earned by others is like poison to me
I shall not touch it anytime.

Babasaheb: Sindhu, you took a  wrong oath?

Padmakar: Tai, are you fully conscious? Why do you want to ruin your life by living in this hell, getting no food, getting scolded  and making your life as heap of ash?

Sindhu: What is ash? If I burn for my God, will I be reduced to ashes? Because of  God, the clay Lanka was burnt,but  it too became gold! Then I am just like a man! Brother, Dad, are you  crazy? Even in the happy life , we are not interested to stay more in maiden house and you are telling me to leave the house. His ( Sudhakar’s) condition has become like this. This is the thing in  house; Now I have to remain vigilant  ! If some bad thing had happened to me, whether he  would have thrown me out? Wouldn't he had done everything for me? Then, shouldn't I have to work hard to for his life? Should we not work hard to cope up our poverty?

Padmakar: Tai, do you want to work hard and stay in this low grade house?

Babasaheb: Sindhu, Leaving you where you will find to get food also..

Padmakar: Tai, what has happened to you? Will you work hard Here is your father who is rich enough to lend money even to Kubera( god of wealth), I am your mountain-like brother who can hold the falling sky! - And you for a crazy drunkard-

Sindhu: Stop! Brother, in this house, in front of these feet - in front of me, I will not let you speak such an evil! This is the limit of the ears of devoted wife! Go - father, brother, I have no one in this world? Devoted wife has no other relations. She is not the daughter of the father, not the sister of the brother, not the mother of the child! She is the wife of the husband given by Devabrahman( religion)! Dad, your daughter died in your house on the same day I got married and I was born in this house under a new name. The girl's wedding ceremony is pleasing to the parents; But the marriage of a girl is her last rite, this they do not understand. Baba, for the Kanyadana( donating daughter), the water that you left on husband’s hand, erased my maiden  name!

Sudhakar: Sindhu, why are these scoundrels standing here? If you want to stay, get rid of all this!

Sindhu: Dada, Baba, Bhai, have you heard what he said? Get out of here now leaving all love and affinity about me! Cousin,  with my  hands clasped I request  you not to stay  in this house anymore. Don't say no- I swear to you! Your brother(Ramlal) is just like my husband to you! It is very difficult for a person like you to protect your charity status when it starts like this at home!

Sharad: Cousin, you are talking about my charity staus and what about your  charity staus -

Sindhu: Being in the shadow of these feet means that my charity staus is not afraid of even demon.

Sudhakar: Sindhu, still no action.You have taken a false oath.

Sindhu: Now if anyone stops here, I swear on my neck! My lord of my life,, I have not taken a false oath. Sindhu  has broken links with rest of the world! If I bring home a piece of coin without any effort by both of us, then I swear by your feet-

(राग- पिलू; ताल- केरवा. चाल- डगमग हाले.)

सकल जगाचा। संसृतीचा।
पाश तोडी झणि॥ ध्रु.॥

पदि या सारा। वसत पसारा।
त्रिभूवना संसाराचा। मम साचा॥ 1

 (Raga- pilu; tal- kerva. Chaal- dagmag hale.)

Of the whole world and culture
I break the bond in a moment

All world stay at these feet
Of my life  in three worlds.

Sudhakar: Taliram, fill the glass now openly and give it to me!

Taliram: Where is the balance now? (Pouring) This is the only last glass!

Sudhakar: What ever may be there? But will take in presence of Sindhu! Only one glass is enough! (He starts drinking. The curtain falls.)

 

Act III ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment