Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Ekach Pyala- Marathi Drama -Act4.1

My translation attempt of Marathi Drama एकच प्याला (Only one glass)  written Ram Ganesh Gadkari)

Please suggest better option for words and phrases.

Episode first

(Venue: Ramlal's Ashram. Characters: Sharad and Ramlal.)

Sharad: After sitting for so long, Bhagirathi has explained almost all the cantos; But it stopped at this verse! Whether he had really some work or he got stuck at the verse and left, who knows!

Ramlal: Which verse?

Sharad: This, , 'मरणं प्रकृति: शरीरिणाम्..., ‘Death is the property of bodies ...

Ramlal: Wow, very beautiful verse! In the rising level of poetry, Lord Kalidasa has achieved the culmination of philosophy here! The eighth incarnation of Lord Krishna in Dashavatara( Ten incarnations) and this eighth canto in Raghuvansha, I always feel the same. The first half of that incarnation is full of Radha Krishna's love plays, while the second half is singing Upanishads like Yogeshwar Krishna’s Gita! Here, at the beginning of this canto, there is the prosperity of material destiny, and later it descends into compassion and ends in paramavairagya( Full detachment from life).

The whole picture of the pure world of kings of India has been drawn by the poet in this single song! Listen, the meaning of your verse - 'Maranam Prakriti: Sharirinam' - Death is the nature of bodies; 'विकृतिर्जीविमुच्यते बुधै:''Vikritirjivimuchyate Budhai:' - Staying alive seems like an exception to wise people! 'क्षणमप्यवतिष्ठते श्वसन' 'Kshanampyavatisthate shvasana' and therefore even if it survives for a moment, but still 'यदि जन्तुर्न तु लाभवानसौ''Jadi janturn tu labhavansau' - isn't that animal lucky? The birth of the organism is only uniform; But death has thousands of ways. That is why this world is called the world of death! If we look at the situation thoughtfully, everyone will be amazed at how we can survive even for a moment from so many thousands of causes of death! And so it is said here, that we should rejoice the moments we are living and look at the future art with a melancholy eye,!

Sharad: One should be happy about the moment of living with the breath, this statement of the poet may seem true to you! But brother, there are so many miserable creatures in this world that even a hundred years of longevity will feel like a curse!

Ramlal: (In mind) It is not possible to answer this question of child widow in Hindu society even with the intelligence of Kalidasa! (Openly) Sharad, This statement of Kalidasa was relevant to the time when the society was doing all the work with strong and generous thinking and when the serious morality had not become petty! At that time every moment of life was happy! Look at this song! What a wonderful description of happiness! Indumati's death is also beautiful! In order to liberate the divine beauty, this Arya poet has planned a gentle weapon like the flower in the heavenly Parijat, and today the morality has been created to return such delicate flowers to the hot plate for the food of the demonic tradition!

Sharad, seeing a beautiful girl like you suffering from widow-hood, it seems that the poor idol of Aryavarta's degraded history is standing in front of us! Beauty does not leave your delicacy in any condition! Even ornament of widowness adorns her beauty! Sharad, even though we are all urging you for remarriage(puttng his hand on her back) you are…, ( In mind) why did such a thorny feeling stood up on my hand when you touched her body)? This experience is brand new - but I should nothave this experience! My hand is shaking like that!

He takes back his hand from her back. Sharad looks at Ramlal.) Why do you look at me with such a strange look? girl, wouldn't your father have put his hand on your back like that?

Sharad: He would have kept the hand same way; But it would not have been removed by such a slap! Brother, you felt like you got confused! You thought something was wrong! Brother, tell the truth. Did something crazy come to your mind? Please tell.

Ramlal: I have never told a lie to you yet; Nothing crazy came to my mind! I just felt like that-

Sharad: Just like means father does not feel his hand moving his daughter's back, or a brother does not feel his hand moving his sister's back! Is it true.

Ramlal: Sharad, Sharad, don't speak so harshly.

(राग- मालकंस; ताल- झपताल. चाल- त्याग वाटे सुलभ.)

सोडि नच मजवरी वचनखरतशरा।
 दग्ध करिसी तये हाय। मम अंतरा॥ ध्रु.॥

स्मृति काय पूर्वीची। लोपली आजची।
केवि तव मति रची। कल्पना भयकरा॥ 1

(Raga-Malkans; Taal-Jhapatal. Chaal-Tyaag Vaate Sulabh.)

Please do not throw an arrow of strong words
My mind gets burned by its heat

Past memory has disappeared today
How your mind imagines such a fear 1

.

I tell in the name of god that  I did not get any different feeling in my mind! I don’t know but, I just felt a little like a thief!

Sharad: Now do not steal something from me – or  anything from yourself!

(राग- जीवनपुरी; ताल- त्रिवट. चाल- पिहरवा जागो रे.)

खर विषा दाहाया
हृदया या का वर्षिता॥ ध्रु.॥

जे स्रवत सुधा।
वदन हे सदा।
हलाहल ते वमते आता॥ 1

(Raga- Jeevanpuri; Tal- Trivat. Chaal- Piharva Jago Re.)

 Why you are sprinkling poison
on my heart  to burn it

The mouth which was giving Amrut all time ( telling good things)
is now releasing  poison

Brother, it shouldn't have happened! Today my base is broken! My dada( Sudhakar) has taken care of me since my father died! But on that day, my dada( Sudhakar drived me out)- my luck was ruined! From that time you took care of me! God brought such a time on me today! Brother, you have been standing with me like a father in this world for so many days! I was acting fearlessly based on your support! And today this event- Bhai Saheb, I didn't cry at the time when Baba died as I was ignorent ! May be due to that, today God brought that crisis on me again and made me cry knowingly! Today I became an orphan!

(राग- बेहागडा; ताल- त्रिवट. चाल- चरावत गुंय्यां.)

जगी हतभागा।
सुखी चिर असुख॥ ध्रु.॥

जनके त्यजिता।
लाधे दुसरा। ये विनाश त्या।
माते जधि विधी विमुख॥ 1

(Raga- Behagada; Tal- Trivat. Chaal- Charavat Gunya.)

In this world person with badluck
has no happiness

After father leaves, get support from other
But that is also destroyed
why the destiny is so cruel to me.

Ramlal: Sharad, why are you doing this like crazy? Just my hand - of your supposed father - as soon as it touches your body -

Sharad: No! Ramlal, this is not the father's hand! The daughter's father's hand is just like the mother's hand - a little rocky - like the hand of a stone idol of God! Your hand was not father's hand! It was a man's hand! The father does not look like the man to the daughter; Looks like God with no feelings! The daughter behaves freely in front of the father! Today my that freedom is gone! Today my father left me! Today you are standing before me as a young man and I am standing before you as a young woman! A woman should be careful when dealing with men. Bhai Saheb, till today I have been living in a safe place among the men of the world due to your support! Today the responsibility of taking care of me fell on me! Brother, in whose face should I now look with faith?

Ramlal: What? Even with such small event, did you lose faith in me?

(राग: वसंत; ताल- त्रिवट. चाल- जपिये नाम जाकोजी.)

गणिसी काय खल माते,
अलंकार केवळ कुजनांते।
न विश्वासलव योग्य जयाते॥ ध्रु.॥

वद का स्मरसी चिरसहवासी।
घडली कृती अनुचित या हाते।
जनकधर्म कधी त्यजि काय सुते॥ 1

(Raga: Vasant; Tal- Trivat. Chaal- Japiye Naam Jakoji.)

Do you consider me bad
What decorates bad people
who cannot be relied upon

Though staying together tell
why improper act was done by your hand
you left the role of father,

Sharad: In a moment, the belief of whole life was shattered! Brother, it doesn't take long for women to get scared! Even the wind blows the heart of a woman!

(राग- गरुडध्वन; ताल- त्रिवट. चाल- परब्रह्ममो रघु.)

ललनामना नच अघलवशंका
अणुहि सहते कदा॥ ध्रु.॥

सृजनि त्याच्या विधी तरल
घे विमल प्रकृतिसी पुण्य परम॥1

(Raga- Garudadhvan; Tal- Trivat. Chaal- Parabrahmamo Raghu.)

Woman’s mind doubts not only big issue
but even small event becomes unbearable

Delicate feelings get fluctuated by its origin
feels very assured of unpolluted pious nature

Brother, I'm leaving now. I can't stand in front of you!

Ramlal: Wait, Sharad, and bring that 'Raghu' ( book) here! Read four of these verses so that your mind will forget about what happened!

Sharad: I don't wish to read now or do anything! I can’t remove my fear by doing anything! I can't dare to look towards  you! I'm leaving now! God, what have you done?
(Starts going) I wish to go with Bhagirath to Dadasaheb house

Ramlal: Why Bhagirath? Me too - if you wish, I will take you there. But wait Sharad, I have a request.

Sharad: What? Tell me soon.

Ramlal: You will not tell this fact to anyone - even to Bhagirath?

Sharad: No. Will not Bhagiratha feel sad to hear? (Goes.)

Ramlal: I can’t understand myself what happened to my mind! What a mess! Sharad, you have blamed me without realizing that I am really guilty or not - but why shouldn't she blame me? Has my mind really become uncertain- hey, something has happened to me! Who is better than you, Lord, to guide me? (Goes.)

Act IV

 

No comments:

Post a Comment