Saturday, February 12, 2022

Ekach Pyala- Marathi Drama -Act5.4

 

Only One Peg

My translation attempt of Marathi Drama एकच प्याला (Only one glass)  written Ram Ganesh Gadkari)

Please suggest better option for words and phrases.

Act V

Entrance IV

(Venue- Sudhakar's house. Characters- Sindhu in dying stage; Near Sudhakar, Padmakar, Ramlal and police officer)

Padmakar: Dadasaheb(Ramlal), look at this dead child; He was killed by this scoundrel! Look at this, my sister! This drunken evil has made this poor body miserable! Catch this man like this-

Police officer: Bhausaheb, what will happen if you get angry like that? Wait, we will ask the lady and take legal statement.

Padmakar: Sister, Sindhutai-

Ramlal: Brother, wait a minute; Don't get so excited! She's a little drowsy!

Padmakar: This drowsiness - this sisten- this whole thing - is the awful deed of this drunken monster! Dadasaheb, do whatever you want, but make this this drunkard who robbed Sister’s loved one( baby)'s suffer some terrible punishment!

Ramlal: Brother,whatever was to happen  has happened; Will becoming  angry with him come again?

Padmakar: Brother, don't try to comfort me! This scoundrel has starved my gold-like sister-thrashed with stick and stones- scolded with words that will not come out of the mouth of the low grade people. Dadasaheb, I fall to your feet, no matter what happens, don't let him free! Take him to prison for a crime he has committed, or take him to a mental hospital for drunkenness; Call it a clever criminal, or a foolish beast, but put him  in a some cage! My sister is Godess,  in his temptation - - yes, the name of this animal, who is her husband, is engaged here to worship him with sacrifice of her five souls. If this stone, which is considered as an idol by her, is thrown into a hell, then she can be taken home and cured by medicine!

Police officer: Bhausaheb, calm down. You started saying-

Padmakar: Dadasaheb, I'm sorry. Even if I would have been  is a stone statue, I could have talked like this! Then as I am her brother  by blood relation - what can I say, there is no blood-flesh left on her body to point out, - this monster has swallowed it - by taking a drop of her blood with a drop of alcohol, broke the ligaments by this vampire. This learned drunkard, the daughter of four mill owner, forced him to grind on a millstone to fill his stomach. In our home, the puppies of dogs are given milk, the small part of gets spilled Even that quantity of milk also was not available for the baby. In our house, the maid may have left a lot of food, but my sister  has never got so much food! Looking at this means that no latitude should be given! If I was a stone, I would have become man, and if I am man, I have to become  stone( with stubborn mind for tying to put the noose around his neck, even if the mangalsutra in sisters neck is broken, it will serve the purpose! Sister Sindhutai, get up, baby! (Puts her up a bit.)

Sindhu: Brother, when did you come? Bhai you have also come. Brother, get up, there's some rice on the stove; Give bath and give him( Sudhakar)  some rice to eat! There is nothing inhis  stomach for a long time!

Padmakar: Instead of putting food in ihis mouth, I have come to push his life in the belly of time! Sister, look, Polic officer has come to get your statement. Tell them all about what this murderous drunkard did! Dadasaheb, ask her what she wants to ask-

Police officer: Lady, tell me what he did!

Sindhu: He didn't do anything - who told you this?

Police officer So what happened to the boy? How did you get this wound on your forehead?

Sindhu: I was hungry for two days. I was getting dizzy from staying. As I was coming down from the garden with the child, I was fell down; I got a wound on my forehead because of falling! The baby crawled under my body! He has nothing to do with it!

Padmakar: Sister, I told a lie! So how did this stick get blood?

Sindhu: I came here with blood on my hands. He has nothing to do with it!

Police officer: Woman, is this all true?

Sindhu: True - very true! Believe me

Padmakar: No, yes; Dadasaheb, this is a blatant lie! Sister, you swear to me, to Baba, to your husband. Tell the truth.

Sindhu: Dada, why do you see such an end? That's exactly what I said!

Padmakar: Dadasaheb, this is a lie! What to do now

Police officer: Bhausaheb, nothing can be done now! No matter how angry you are, what will happen to you and us in the face of her goodness? No matter how sharp the weapon of justice is, what will it do when the shield of virtue of such holy virtue is obstructed?

Padmakar: Dadasaheb! Do you let this scoundrel go free because of her lying?

Police officer: Bhausaheb, what will happen to a person who swims in the river Ganga!

Ramlal: Well done, Sindhutai, well done! Bhausaheb, the existence of such a virtuous woman has more power of God's blessing than the truth of Devbrahman! Brother, let go! It's done! Sindhutai, you are blessed! There are still Aryas like you, that is why this holy land is called Aryavarta! India is the home of Sadhvisati! If the government enacts a law on sati and bans our sadhvis from burning their bodies in unison, then these goddesses are performing self-sacrifice in the name of Navaryar by burning inside! Bhausaheb, for the sake of Sindhutai, let go of the anger on Sudhakar!

Sindhu: Brother, come here, sit next to me! Brother, will you be angry with your man like that? My life clock is ticking! Except for Baba and you both, is there anyone to help him now? I leave such a gem behind, isn't it on your assurance? Don't you want to cover his  hot soul now? You should take care of your sister's fortune ( husband) now. As a child, you used to bring small butterflies of Mrug season in my small container to refresh my kunkum, remember? So where did that love go now? I am leaving my lucky kumkum in your possession!

Padmakar: Listen scoundrel, listen, listen to one word of my dear sister! But why can’t you open your eyes? Sister, why do you say like this?

Ramlal: Brother, Police officer  is getting late to go?

Police officer: Come on, Bhausaheb- but at some point take out this complaint, that's it!

(Ramlal and Padmakar go to see off Police officer.)

Sudhakar: (In mind) Opened, Bhausaheb, my eyes are opened! But as long as my eyes are open, I can see the path to heaven in the light of the living light of this deity. (Looking around and opening the medicine) Yes, that is the poisonous medicine! Where is the enemy of the seven births that has grabbed my soul? (Pours alcohol and poison into a glass.)

Sindhu: Please listen? Please come near to me-

Sudhakar: Shall Icome near you? (Sitting next to her) What's the matter?

Sindhu: Put my head on your lap! Give me your hand

Sudhakar: (doing so) Sindhu, Sindhu, Sindhu as a deity! What a pity! Sindhu, you drowned at the feet of this drunken husband! I insulted you! You never got enough food! I made you grind for the stomach! I tormented you! The lump in your belly( your baby) was killed by me in front of you! I made you wander in torn dress in life.Goddess! Sindhu, Sindhu, generous hearted Sindhu, burn me with one word of curse! Why did you save this Sudhakar by spending your pastoral virtues and telling lies? Your ability to decorate and celebrate the world of heaven with your goodness; The accumulation of eighty-eight lakh births stood up in this life and destiny carved the name 'Sudhakar' on your torn forehead! Sindhu, Goddess, forgive me! Forgive this eternal criminal sin!

Sindhu: Why do you want to get troubled? Why you say I have broken forehead( bad fate)? With a full hand and kunkum turmeric, I fortunate to die on your lap, what more could I ask for? It was a Good luck to me! You should not bother your  mind. I swear on my neck! Your health is already not good! If you get angry in summer, there is no one to put  ginger on your forehead to cure. There is one more request with my folded hands. Now there is no one to protect your life. All the people think only of themselves. On my forehead your service was written only upto now., - you are now alone - now I swear by my blood - you should never take drink  again! Please listen to me that much! Not even a single drop should  be touched-

Sudhakar: No, Sindhu, I spent my life in breaking your sacred commandments! This sinful Sudhakar is not lucky enough to obey your last command! This last single cup I still want to drink. No, unfortunate soul, don't look at me now! What else is the orphan's hope in these frozen eyes? Sindhu, Sindhu, Whaty- Ramlal, Run

Sindhu: Nath, take care of your soul- Sudhakar! To my Sudhakar, God- (Sindhu dies. Ramlal comes. Sudhakar takes the glass and stands up. Ramlal goes to get the glass from Sudhakar's hand, he immediately drinks poison.)

Sudhakar: Scoundrel, don't spoil my plan at this time!

Ramlal: Sudha, what you drank?

Sudhakar: Alcohol! One cup!

Ramlal: More alcohol! The same alcohol that did so much harm?

Sudhakar: Yes, Ramlal, the same liquor! The same alcohol that made my house so bad! The alcohol that has run the kingdom of disaster on all four continents! The alcohol that makes Kubera to beg!It converts strong body like Bhima into a store of  seventy two diseases. The drunkenness that adorns the mouth of a learned sage with the swear words of Shimga! The liquor that brings to Mahapativrata ( sacred women) to the market by drunk husbands! Alcohol breaks the threads of intimate relationship! Alcohol kills father from son, child from father! Alcohol makes a pure Muslim, who doesn't even take the name of a pig, look like a pig! The liquor that makes Gayatri's flesh tingle on the tongues of Brahmins sanctified by Gayatri Mantra! Like an animal, a son is born in a real birthplace - alas! Talked what not to talk  ! But what will happen to the tongue of Sudhakar who did not consider alcohol to be ugly, with a disgusting word! And how long will it take for one word of dirt to be carried away in the gutters of alcohol flowing from the potential throats learned in various places in the society! Don't make a bad face now!

Don't be angry- I told you once, today I will tell you one last thing,

What is the time to get rid of alcohol before it starts! Holding the hand of a future alcoholic before taking the first single cup will only benefit! Whoever once took the first single cup has to take the last one! The drunkard has to die under the influence of alcohol, this is the motto! And even if someone like me repents, this one cup is nothing! But just as it takes a lot of water to kill a medicine in water, just like taking this last single cup, I have to put a lot of poison like rasakapara in it to kill the burning fire of alcohol!

Ramlal: What? Raskapur in it? Have you drunk extremely dangerous Raskapur? Terrible poison cup?

Sudhakar: What should I do  if not to to drink poison? Look at this- what is left in the world after this deity has left me?

Ramlal: What, Tai died? (Goes and sits near Sindhu.)

Sudhakar: Yes, Ramlal, she is gone! My Sindhu is gone! Sindhu river of my goodness is dry! Sindhu of my mercy, Sindhu of compassion, Sindhu reached the sea of ​​time - no, the sea of ​​liquor created by this sinful Sudhakar. This Sudhakar's world was drowned in a single glass of liquor!

(राग- भैरवी; ताल- दादरा. चाल- पिया सोने दे.)

त्यजी देवा हतदैवा।
जगी राही काय॥ ध्रु.॥

सिंधू सुखाचा।
पुण्यांशाचा।
सकळ आटे तापे मम।
विशाल जरी हाय॥ 1

(Raga- bhairavi; tal- dadra. Chaal- piya sone de.)

If God is denied, what will remain

Sea of happiness
of good deeds
though vast
all became dry due to my trouble

The Vamanavatari God had to take three steps in the form of a huge Trivikrama to measure Tribhuvan, but this Sudhakar was only up to two steps of the Goddess Tribhuvan( Sindhu)! I should die if I put my head on the same feet. Only if I go with her holding the feet of this deity will I be able to enter the gates of heaven by burning my sins by her virtue! Gone! Divyatapaswini Mangalnidhan Punyamurti Sindhu is gone! Ramlal, your sister is gone and my supposed mother is gone!

Ramlal, Ramlal, the reason for all this misfortune is the only cup of liquor I took first! I wash my face, which has been corrupted by the sins committed on that day, with the blood of this goddess, with this idol of nectar. (Kisses her blood.) That means my holy body will be worthy of heaven! Ramlal, don't go through that, take this one cup! Put this one cup on the public stage and show it to the whole world and tell the one who has come, the one who has learned, the king, the poor, the Brahmin, the sage, the old man and the child, the friend of your soul and the enemy of seven births.Tell them that reason for all calamity is this glass and  Stay away from this cup! Tell everybody you meet - I am washing my face with the holy blood of Sindhu- I can’t shout loudly- You tell everyone with loud voice, do whatever you feel sinful- but do not drink alcohol! (He dies with his head at the feet of Sindhu.)

Ramlal: Alas, what a disaster! Suddenly three souls have gone! The child is gone, Sindhu is gone, Sudhakar is gone! The house sank and the tribe sank! What is left of Sudhakar in this world now? This is the only cup of alcohol that these three lives drowned with everything !!

ब्रह्मार्पण ब्रह्महविर्ब्रह्माग्ना ब्रह्मणा हुतम्। ब्रह्मैव तैन गन्तव्यं ब्रह्मकर्मसमाधिना॥

- श्रीगीतोपनिषत्सु श्रीभगवान्

Brahmarpan Brahmahavirbrahmagna Brahmana Hutam. Brahmaiv Tain Gantavya Brahmakarmasamadhina.

- श्रीगीतोपनिषत्सु श्रीभगवान्

No comments:

Post a Comment