Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Ekach Pyala- Marathi Drama -Act2.1

My translation attempt of Marathi Drama एकच प्याला (Only one glass)  written Ram Ganesh Gadkari)

Please suggest better option for words and phrases.

Act II

Episode I

(Venue: Sudhakar's house. Characters: Sindhu and Sudhakar.)

Sindhu: Cousin sister ( Shard)  has gone to Bhai Saheb  ( Ramlal) and I am feeling  lonely at home; So I  say,  is it essential to go out now?

Sudhakar: Oh, why would I go so fast unless it is an urgent matter? I must go now! Don't wait any longer for my dinner.

Sindhu: I have been watching since the day I came, always you going out for dinner  at night; One, two or three times only you stayed in house for dinner! Should I ask you? Are you angry as  I stayed for long time at my home? If that is the case, I am very sorry please forgive me.( With act of begging).

(राग- मांड-जिल्हा; ताल- दादरा. चाल- कहा मानले.)

 स्थिरवा मना। दयाघना।
विनतिसी या माना।
होई पात्र न रोषा दीना।
हृदयी करुणा आणा॥ ध्रु.॥

जाहला दोष मम करी चुकूनि काही।
प्रेमला, क्षमा तरि त्या करा।
विनतिसी या माना॥ 1

(Raga- mand-jila; tal- dadra. Chaal- kaha manale.)

Give solace to my heart, you beloved lord
Please accept my request
Don't be angry.
Bring compassion to the heart
ध्रु .॥

If something wrong was done by me
Please forgive me with love
and concede my request

Sudhakar: Oh, I have to meet many people and convince for charter work and for that I have to go here and there! Then there is insistence for dinner at somebody's house. Is it good to leave work half done and  to come for dinner at home. Now a days I have to wait till 2-3 am in night. How do you think that I am angry with you for that?

Sindhu: (crying) Then why your talk is full of scorn, even you are not playing with our baby also.

Sudhakar: Talking with you is very difficult job.! How many times I have told you that I love you as much as I did before! I admire the baby from the bottom of my heart - but why should I say that! Can't you see Well, don't cry now! I will be getting my charter after completing the term tomorrow Then  the work will be over. I go now. There is no point in arguing - it hurts yourself and hurts others also!

(Thought in mind) She has started worrying as Ramlal called her suddenly by telegram. This Ramlal went to England well. But due to war he returned back. So this worry has started bothering me. How many days should this hide and seek  continue? (Goes.)

Sindhu: Oh God, now I leave  all my worries with you!

(राग- तिलककामोद, ताल- एकताल. चाल- अब तो लाज.)

प्रणतनाथ! रक्षि कान्त।
करि तदीय असुख शांत॥ ध्रु.॥

अशुभा ज्या योजी दैव।
पतिलागी, त्या सदैव।
परिणभवी मंगलात॥ 1

 (Raga- tilakkamod, tal- ektal. Chaal- ab to laaj.)

Oh,  my God, protect my husband
Relieve him from Worries

Whatever destiny plans bad
They affect my husband all time
Atleast let them end in happyness

 (Ramlal and Sharad come.)

Sindhu: Have you seen Bhai (Ramlal)? Just now he( Suhakar) has gone.. Telling everyday  same- I want to go to work and don't wait for dinner!

Ramlal: I don't know what happened suddenly! The charter is temporarily revoked. Isn't he facing trouble of lack of money? Yeah He will not talk openly to anybody due to his ego character

Sharad: No, that is not a problem at all. However, it is learned that Dada's charter was revoked, but since that time, cousin's(Sindhu’s) father has started sending money with a open hand, even though Dada has written not to send .

Sindhu: No, brother; There is no problem with money? Something is crazy - my mind is telling me! Brother, how to do it now? (Begins to cry.)

Ramlal: Tai, Sindhutai, Don’t  become  crazy? You are clever andhave good patience and you are doing like this? Be patient

(राग- भीमपलासी; ताल- त्रिवट. चाल- बिरजमें धूम मचाई.)

सचतुरे, धैर्यसदा सुखधाम।
विपदि महा सकल पुरवी काम॥ ध्रु.॥

निजभजकांच्या विघ्नभंजनी।
जणु दुसरे प्रभुनाम॥ 1

(Raga- Bhimpalasi; Tal- Trivat. Chaal- Birajme Dhoom Machai.)

It is true that  patience always lead to happiness
It fulfils all wishes even in high calamity

It is like chanting name of God
For facing danger bravely

In a couple of days, I will do a thorough investigation and find out the truth. Go, Sharad has come with  the baby from outside, take him and put him to sleep; Wipe your eyes You should always remain joyful. Otherwise I shall not get involved in this. No body knows what is the matter and just keep crying. What is this? Go take him.

Sindhu: Brother, whatever you say but …

(राग- जिल्हा मांड, ताल- कवाली. चाल- पिया मनसे.)

दयाछाया घे निवारुनिया,
प्रभु मजवरी कोपला॥ ध्रु.॥

जीवनासि मम आधार गुरु जो।
तोहि कसा अजि लोपला॥ 1

 (Raga- District Mand, Tal- Kavali. Chaal- Piya MNS.)

God has become agry with me
and has withdrawn all compassion and support,

The Lord who is support to my life
Why has become angry with me

Ramlal: Sharad, Sharad, please go to Sindhutai inside. Please calm her down! Don't make her cry!

(Sharad goes. Ramlal starts going.)

(Gita comes.)

Gita: Bhai Saheb-

Ramlal: Who? Gita, no? Did you call me

Gita: Yes! Even I called you without caring for anything ! Call me your daughter like Sharadinibai! Bhai Saheb, I just heard Baisaheb( Sindhutai) talking and my heart became restless. I came running as I could not stop before telling to somebody.  I know everything ; as to  what Dadasaheb does, where he goes, with whom who he goes with.

Ramlal: Yes! Please tell what he does .

Gita: What to tell you I feel sorry! Now he has started drinking - (in low tone) to drink alcohol!

Ramlal: What, alcohol? (Exhaling) Raghuveer! Srihari ( Oh my God)! - Gitabai, are you sure?

Gita: Ah, how sure? I know by seeing myself! My family person only has induced Dadasaheb

Ramlal: Wait, don't talk here! If Sindhu hears a word, she will ruin her life! You  just come out a little, beyond Just furtherl. Tell me everything that you know - come on. (Thinks in mind) Oh, Destiny what did you do?

(राग- बिलावल. ताल- त्रिवट. चाल- सुमरन कर.)

वसुधातलरमणीयसुधाकर।
व्यसनधनतिमिरी बुडविसी कैसा?॥ ध्रु.॥

सृजुनि जया परमेश सुखावे।
नाशुनि ह्या, तुजसि मोद नृशंसा!॥ 1

 (Raga- bilaval. Tal- trivat. Chaal- sumaran kar.)

Sudhakar such a good person in this world
How did you drown him in darkenss of addiction

By creating him you were happy
How you enjoy in destroying him

 (Goes. The curtain falls.)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment