Thursday, June 4, 2020

My speech at DYPCOE, Akurdi online meet

There was some computer/ internet problem while giving my slideshow presentation. I gave ex-tempo speech expressing my views about Environmental Sustainability. I give brief account of that speech as follows -

My dear student friends, colleagues and expert dignitories, I have to express my gratitude to the management of D. Y. Patil College of Engineering, Akurdi for giving me this rare opportunity to put my views before you.

I was fortunate to have guidance of Dr. Subbarao, a pioneer in Sugar and Distillery Waste treatment in India and Dr. G. D. Agrawal of IIT Kanpur who became martyre in Save Ganga Movement. My Walchand College provided me consultancy opportunities and students helped me to learn many new technologies which changed the imperical methods of design to scientific and technological advanced process designs.

In spite of such experience, I detached myself from this field due to frustration in achieving desired goals in Environmental protection and accepted IT as a career in post retirement life.

The reason for such decision was due to apathy of industries to provide effective  environmental management plan and failure of Pollution Control Authorites in strict implimentation of law. This created a false impression in the mind of people affected by pollution about our design and consultancy capabilities and they blamed us for the continued environmental pollution.

Introduction of Environment Pollution Act 1986, streamlined the process of monitoring, control and authorisation for expansion or new projects and provided condition of public participation and consent as mandatory in such approvals.

This gave strength to affected community and environmental experts and activists to resist the industry's plans of expansion or new development projects.

However, some political and social groups with vested interest use this situation to create hurdles in any development project by creating fear about the devastation of habitat and nature. Even foreign countries play role  in instigating the conflict if other country is investing in the project.

I do not defend the industries ofr projects which do not care for environment and habitat, but I feel it is duty of environmental engineers to educate the people about availability of technology for minimisation of damage and remedial measures for protection and conservation of environment.

Unfortunately, the environmental studies gives stress only on causes of environmental degradation due to industries and development projects. Very little mention is there about the modern efficient and effective technologies for environment management and preservation of environmental quality.

At the same time environmental engineers should take responsibility to force industry or project proponent to strictly follow the measures suggested by experts and should monitor the proper operation and maintenance.

 If environmental engineers take such a crucial role and accept full responsibility of environmental protection, the necesary sustainable development can be achieved, which is the pressing need for economic prosperity and employment generation.
 
We look forward to have collaboration with DYPCOE, Akurdi to work in this direction. Let us hope, together, we shall be able to give solution to  Develoment safeguarding Sustainable Environment.

Thanks
 S. V. Ranade
Dnyandeep Infotech and Dnyandeep Foundation, Sangli.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment