Sunday, June 7, 2020

Writing blog in English

You might be wondering why I am writing all blogs in English, though I am a strong supporter of Marathi. What caused me to switch the medium of expression as English as against my mother tongue Marathi ?

While starting blog, I was prompted by the Marathi blogs written by young Marathi speaking IT professionals in eSakal and Maharashtra Times web edition. When I explored the net for Marathi blogs, I was delighted to find number of Marathi blogs written by Marathi people staying abroad. May be, they are more sensitive to Marathi and take pleasure and feel comfortable in expressing their feelings in their own native language.

If however, in broader perspective, if one thinks of promoting Marathi literature and culture or progress of Marathi people in general, it is essential that the knowledge treasure in Marathi should cross boundaries and be available to the global community.

To my surprise, I found scanty information about Marathi literature and culture in English, the major medium of communication on internet. Very few authors, poets and their works are known to outside world. We take pride in having best talent in Maharashtra, but there are no worthy names of authors who have created their impression in English literature.


Marathi people staying in other states and country have unique advantage of familiarity with English and some other language and they should use this premise to take more proactive role in enhancing image of Maharashtra by intentional writing in English and other languages.

As any writing is based on experience and thinking, Marathi people while writing in other language will naturally use and display Marathi knowledge, culture and lifestyle in their work. This will help them build their career as writer in today’s content hungry communication and advertising media and indirectly help Marathi literature and Maharashtra in general. In Maharashtra also their writing will be welcome as it will provide a window to outside world and build new confidence in Marathi people. In addition, cross cultural bridges will be established crossing the language barriers.

This induced me to start writing in English as I thought that through my English blogs, I will be able to reach all Indians speaking different languages than Marathi. I know that my English is not so good and I can express my point of view more effectively in Marathi, but before advising others to write in English I should give a try myself. I am very weak in writing fiction and therefore adopted nonfiction subjects.

I like to write Marathi blog and shall do so in mymarathi.com site in future but would be more glad if more and more Marathi people excel in writing English blogs as well and establish a leading position blog community.

No comments:

Post a Comment