Saturday, October 10, 2020

Social apathy about Dr. G. D. Agrawal Fast ( My blog May 17, 2008)

After writing my blog on Dr. Agrawal's decision on indefinite fast, I expected comments from readers.

 I had communicated to more than 100 environment related people about the blog. 

However, no comment was received. Only two reply mails were there but they also completely sidetracked the subject of my blog. I did not write any blog to keep that blog on the front page but no effect. I contacted the Mehta Foundation at Delhi office and also informed IIT Kanpur group about the proposed fast by Dr. Agrawal, still no reaction. 

 I do not think that people might not have read the blog, nor they are ignorant about the cause which prompted Dr. Agrawal to announce such a drastic step. Why then nobody showed any interest or wanted to know the real situation and impact of dam on Ganga. May be they are waiting for the climax to occur. Only when something sensational event occurs or the news is blown up by media, they would feel it worth considering. 

Such social apathy is the root cause of failure in preservation of environmental quality. Environmental groups and NGOs try to raise some basic issues which need active response and participation from people, but the people wait till the projects reach to point of no return. Then any opposition to development project is considered as deliberate attempt to stop the progress. 

 World is cruel and selfish. It doesn't have time or interest in listening to alarm calls or sensitiveness of individuals. It requires tactics, propaganda and publicity rather than offer of sacrifice. In view of this I feel that Dr. Agrawal should reconsider his decision and concentrate on educating and gathering support for the action he wants the government to take. 

He can also give alternatives for the water supply and power generation needs and convince his point of view. I could not contact him in person, but I will do so. In the present circumstances, the environmental protection can be effected only by adopting legal and technical arguments. They should not base on feelings or anxiety.

1 comment:

  1. I am sorry sir, there are many person who visited your blog. and impressed by youre information. but one more thing if you want any more information on Guru ji matter then you can contact to me. my name is Pavitra Singh and now with guru ji in Uttarkashi.
    mb. 9410706109
    01374-222937

    ReplyDelete