Friday, October 9, 2020

Agonizing dilemma ( My blog Jan 31, 2009)

After successful outcome of efforts, you feel that this is the end of story and it happens that the story has only taken just a small twist and has more unpleasant turns. Dr G. D. Agrawal ended his fast after receiving assurance from government to save Ganga by declaration of it as National river and I breathed a sigh of relief.

 Alas, however, as he came to know that his demand has not been met in totality, he resumed the fast unto death from 14th January. I saw the mails and news coming in my mailbox everyday but was in two minds whether I should encourage his fast or persuade him to change his decision. I know well that he would not listen to my request and may become angry with me for opposing his decision. 

 Everyday I am eagerly looking the mail and getting gloomy news that response to his struggle is not even up to his first fast. The names of supporters are indicative that government has decided to ignore him. May be government has reasons to do so as the committee appointed to resolve the issue is having internal conflict and diverse opinions. 

Dr. Agrawal knows fully well that his demand is difficult to accept in the light of mounting pressures for supply of water and electricity for population and for development to meet essential physical needs .There is political color to this issue also. What I could not understand that Dr. Agrawal is not sensing the futility of sacrificing his life. In my earlier blog, 

I had appealed to followers to pursuade him for resorting to meaningful struggle and lead the movement till his goal is achieved. Has he become desperate and lost all hopes? If so, he should not put his life on trial and give a tool to people who want to use it for political gains. I was totally helpless and the period was full of agonizing dilemma for me I could not support or oppose the decision and the days were passing with increasing danger to his life. Finally, sensing the inevitable coming nearer, I have decided to put his news and my views on the website without bothering for his anger or unfavorable reaction from his supporters.

 I again emphatically say that 
IF YOU WANT TO SAVE GANGA, YOU MUST SAVE DR. AGRAWAL. 
By sacrificing him your goal will never be achieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment