Saturday, May 30, 2020

My hostel life made me strong and resilient


I had decided to pursue chemistry as career at school level as I liked it most. After school and one and half year in college, we moved from Satara to Sangli due to transfer of my father and  I joined Willingdon college in second semester of Pre-Professional ( equivalent to 12 th now).

 I was dismayed to see the students working hard and preparing for engineering admission. I was swept in the  rush towards  engineering field along with my new friends.  Due to change in college and  sudden change in focus,  I could not get necessary merit for admission to our dream destination of Walchand College which was just in front of Willingdon college.

 My parents were reluctant and afraid to keep me away from house but allowed me to take admission in Karad Engg, College. I felt very happy to test  my first venture of staying away from protective house. I joined the college and started living in the hostel.

 Govt. College of Engineering, Karad ( my college during 1963-1965)

I was aloof and happy in studying alone and did not mix with other students due to my weakness in sports and body buildup. It was tough time for me  to accept taunts and abuse from senior students who were rulers in the hostel.  My sensitive mind  suffered blows from rude behavior of classmates who had come from Pune and Mumbai having modern and sophisticated  lifestyle than me. They laughed at my use of Sanskrit originated Marathi  language. They were using English  and colloquial Hindi words fluently while talking. They were also amused to listen to my childish thoughts in their sense.

I used to write my expectations of good friends from my bookish knowledge.  I was fond of Sane Guruji and  I wrote about the ideal friend and how he should protect and help in need. One day I showed my 3-4 pages of  this write up to my roommate to get his views. He read it with amusement and said ‘Excellent. We shall show it to all”

 I felt happy that he understood my feelings. In the night, he called all our friends in our room and my roommate introduced my writing about qualities of good friend.

He said he will read it and let it become memorable event for all of us. So to create atmosphere of worship and pious thoughts, he lit a candle and  we sat all around it with my roommate near candle at center. I was too glad to see the change in him.

But the plan was entirely different. He read my notes loudly with chorus laugh from all after each sentence.  After reading each page, he ceremoniously burned that page on candle with clappings from all. I was totally spellbound and  became a target of mockery.


I became very sad and ashamed of myself , but did not talk and made face of ignorant child. In the night, I thought over the incident and felt the futility of my trying to teach others. But after introspection, I could perceive their mindset and why they did not like my thoughts which were ideal and contrary to their normal behavior.

There was no point in changing their behavior and not possible for me also. What I have to do is to change myself. I have to learn their way of living.

With resolution, I trained my mind to accept what I did not like and soon became expert in their way of living. Using fancy colorful dress, talking semi-vulger and nasty language. My friends were surprised to find this change in me, but they liked me and soon  I became their best friend.

 Earlier they were giving me respect for my studious nature and academic skills. Now they took me as their friend.

 I could get transfer to Walchand College after two years in Karad, and I achieved my cherished goal. I even got opportunity to enjoy my role as  teacher in the college

Still I remember those Hostel days which changed my concepts from bookish to practical knowledge.I am thankful to my friends who transformed my mindset and made me strong and resilient  to face external world.

No comments:

Post a Comment