Monday, October 4, 2010

Old Age

Translation of Marathi Poem to reveal its meaning for Non-Marathi readers. Suggest better wording to improve its quality.
Poem - Vruddhatva (Old Age)
from ‘Sangava’, book of poems
by Mrs. Shubhangi S. Ranade
----
Old Age

I could not solve the riddle
How I have become old

I still remember childhood plays
Hide and seek and running to catch one
Some times hututu* and some times lagori*
Memories make me loose my heart
The picture however disappeared slowly
And old age came without my knowledge

Tiny little tamarind and mango fruits
Though they made our teeth sour
We liked them to eat in our childhood
That scene now has dissolved in past
And old age came and replaced that scene

The hairs on the head got silver lining
The neck has started loosing its balance
Walking stick became the intimate friend
Mind is full with past memories
Tears roll down to show their loss
And old age made its body grip fast

The bonds of time have become loose
Whatever was there got lost somewhere
Things to be done remained undone
But at last I realized it all
Oh god I have become old

Life is moving down the slope
My pray to my god is only one
Please keep my mind good and sane
I shall welcome my old age
But please listen to this my only pray

(* Hututu and Lagori are popular plays in India)

No comments:

Post a Comment